FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Sunday, November 6, 2016

BEFORE KATNIS EVERDEEN, THERE WAS ...


ECHO SACKETT


Last Post, I asked how well could a man write through the eyes of a woman anyway?

Louis L'Amour did a fine job.

In fact, you can buy the audible book for just $4.99!  How cool is that?   

The wit and wisdom of Echo:

"Judging by the size of his stomach, he was a very important man."
 –Echo Sackett in Ride the River, Ch 4
***

“How many are there? Of the Sacketts, I mean?" the bully asked.

“Nobody rightly knows, but even one Sackett is quite a few,” I said, pulling back the hammer of the pistol in my purse.
Echo Sackett in Ride the River, Ch 19
***

"Who the devil are you?"

"Not the devil, Mr. Sardust, but like him, I can open the gates to hell.  I'm Echo Sackett. You ready to go?"
***

It is 1840

Sixteen-year-old Echo Sackett had never been far from her Tennessee home —

until she made the long trek to Philadelphia to collect an inheritance.

Echo could take care of herself as well as any Sackett man, but James White, a sharp city lawyer,

figured that cheating the money from the young country girl would be like taking candy from a baby.

If he couldn't hoodwink Echo out of the cash, he'd just steal it from her outright. And if she put up a fight?

There were plenty of accidents that could happen to a country girl on her first trip to the big city 

or on the journey back to her home miles away in the wilderness.

But never bet against Echo Sackett.


6 comments:

  1. Hi Roland - since you recommended I read "The Walking Drum" - which was totally excellent .. an absorbing read about history in Europe ... very entertaining, I've said I must read more of his works ... so I'll get Ride The River out from the Library and see what you mean.

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't THE WALKING DRUM illuminating as well as entertaining? I think you will learn much about Colonial and Early America from Echo -- and enjoy her company as well! :-)

      Delete
  2. If they were to survive, even women had to be tough back then. I imagine he met with defeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lure of easy gold drew several outlaw bands, each more dangerous than the last. But your instincts are true: Echo was up to the challenge. The novel was a proponent of Pay It Forward decades before the term! :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow! There were some great lines of dialog here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank you for that praise for the ghost of Louis L'Amour. :-)

      DOWN THE LONG HILLS, a Western done in the genre of YA before the term was coined, by L'Amour is also a fine book. :-)

      Delete