FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Write Like Marcus Aurelius_IWSG Post



Marcus Aurelius wrote the 12 books of the Meditations in Koine Greek 

as a source for his own guidance and self-improvement. 

And 2000 years later, people are still reading it.



He wrote for himself ... as should we.  

Trends come, go.  

There are others with minds similar to ours.  Perhaps only a few. 

 But they will be loyal readers who will not go off running to the Next Big Thing.



He wrote on the battlefield. 

 Unlike most Roman Emperors, he fought the German barbarians alongside his troops.

It is possible that large portions of the work were written at Sirmium, 

where he planed military campaigns from 170 to 180.

Like Marcus Aurelius, we should write where we are, when we can.


 Despite the rising rates of Covid-19, or the number of riots, or the clash of conflicting news reports, or explosions in Beirut,

we can focus on bringing the best prose we can to life.




 Covid-19, and the riots, and the politicians who curry votes over public health 

can make it seem we have no control over our lives.



But we have control over our minds, our thoughts, and what we choose to put on paper.



We find ourselves in this life with new storms.  

Yet we can decide our striving to be for good and not for evil... even in our writing.


Why this focus on Marcus Aurelius?


Lucas, my latest protagonist, a former O.S.S. operative and a sociopath, 

keeps himself socially functional by adhering as much as he can to the words of Marcus Aurelius.

Should Audible ever get time to review my latest audio book, you can purchase it if you choose.

Only 99 cents for the Kindle format and $5.99 for the paperback.

How affordable is that? 

And since my blood center is only paying me for 3 days on this latest check, 

this insecure writer could use the money!

The rent, utilities, and car insurance are 
all coming due. 

Ouch!

But Marcus Aurelius
would remind me:


or




or

  Wear a mask;
Stay well.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Roland ... I hope you've recovered and are continuing to heal. Take care - and as you say 'Stay Safe'. Lots of quotes here ... we need to be true to ourselves ... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Getting stronger every day, Hilary. You stay well, hear?

      Delete
  2. Roland, what a refreshing post. Marcus Aurelius is such a well of wisdom. Well worth inspiring a character on his works.
    Wishing you an inspiring August and a fun IWSG day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Susan. May you have a fun IWSG day, too. I like Lucas and those he's collected around him as did the Outlaw Josey Whales. :-)

      Delete
  3. Sorry your paycheck will be small.
    Wise words - write for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great quotes there that seem all too current. Thanks for this uplifting post. We write for ourselves but hopefully it has a positive effect on others too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No one can control our minds but us. We control that and our attitude.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we can choose nothing else, we can choose how we view our situation, right?

      Delete
  6. A great list of connections between MA and any writer. Some things are universal. Hope all is well, Roland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still very weak and my mind is still not as sharp as it once was, but I will get there. :-)

      Delete
  7. Marcus Aurelius is one of my fave philosophers too. Very quotable quotes. Hope you are well. I surmise you're back at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told by my supervisor that he could not hold my job ... so as soon as I felt my strength returning, I took another Covid-19 test and came up negative. I am happy to see another student of Marcus Aurelius. :-) Stay well; wear a mask.

      Delete
  8. It's great to see another blog from you Roland!
    I sent you a short email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw it, but I've just stumbled in from a 11.5 hour day, and I am exhausted! Whew! I will reply tomorrow if works lets me. Thanks for being my friend, Robert, and caring. :-)

      Delete