FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, January 31, 2023

WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO WRITE? IWSG Post

 


Alice Walker, Ntozake Shange, and Langston Hughes, were all inspired by spirituals, jazz, and blues. 

These writers understood that music opens up pathways to creative thinking, that can help us weave together thoughts and ideas. 

We already know that music inspires creativity––especially creative writing

 

This is a bit odd but I find Christmas music to be very inspiring for my writing, 

especially old Christmas songs from the 50s and 60s.

 I think we tend to think of the holidays, especially Christmas, as a time of joy and happiness.

 But, the reality is the holidays can be a very lonely and sad time for many people.


John Steinbeck in 1909 
at the Salinas Fairgrounds.
with his sister Mary, 
sitting on the red pony, Jill,
 whom he made famous in his novel. 


A wild ride through the Swiss Alps long ago
inspired me to write a section in my latest novel.

What has inspired you to write lately?

Is love involved?


Tell me.
I'd like to know.





12 comments:

  1. Music is a HUGE inspiration for me. Sometimes just the right lyrics will set me off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music definitely inspires me. I have certain songs that will inspire scenes for my books. One book was inspired by one story with a similar title and I just changed the location and storyline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My character, Victor Standish, hears melodies in his head during certain stressful moments, and I put them in the novel for any reader who is curious can hear them,

      Delete
  3. Christmas music? That's really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange right, Holli? In fact, I listen to Christmas music all year long!

      Delete
  4. Well I've never used Christmas music but I have made playlists before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often listen to Pandora as I write for the random inspiration. :-)

      Delete
  5. I guess I'm one of the few that can't listen to music when writing. It's just too distracting. hehehe

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each writer is different, Anna. Hemingway wrote standing up!!

      Delete
  6. Music helps me a lot when I'm writing, especially when it matches the emotion of the scene I'm working on. Have a creative February!

    ReplyDelete