FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

FREE!


I browse the net when the world weighs heavy on me.

* I see where 500 Chinese worshippers of the sect, Eastern Lightning, who believe Jesus has come back as a woman were arrested for handing out leaflets in prelude to Doomsday.

* How well you can get up from a sitting position on the floor indicates how long you will live.

* Megan Fox was surprised that the first months of pregnancy was not pleasant.

* Hucksters charge you high dollars to tell you in a vid:

 *  What makes a compelling e-book and/or series.   *   How to use social media as an e-book author to build your platform.
 *   How to increase your e-book sales and make money

If you've been reading my series of FREE posts, you have learned much of the above.

I. EBOOKS HAVE ADVANTAGES -

     A. Your books never go away like they do in brick book stores.

          1.) A reader discovers your latest book and goes to Amazon to buy more of your books.
          2.) Series books are great for this - but you will have to work to make each volume stand on its own.

     B.) Your money is not held in reserve to pay for your advance.

          1.) You get your money in 6 weeks with no agent getting 15%.

          2.) Rumblings ...
               a.) Rumors have it that Amazon's 70% cut to you might soon be dependent on joining the KDP Select.
               b.) Some authors have been complaining of the tardiness and incorrect amounts coming to them from Amazon.

          3.) Still even 35% of sales coming to you within 6 weeks beats waiting years, if ever, for your sales to surpass your advance.

     B. HOW TO WRITE A COMPELLING SERIES:

          1.) Be original.

          2.) Take END OF DAYS by me  -- No, I am not hawking it -- well, maybe a little  :-)
               a.) How to make this book different than the other 3 Victor Standish adventures?
               b.) I changed the narrator.
               c.) I took Victor primarily out of the action.

          3.) Alice Wentworth, the Victorian ghoul, became the teller of the tale and basically the last hero standing.  (After all, how many Asgardians were left after Ragnarok?)

          4.) What did I get?
               a.) A stronger, more deeply portrayed Alice Wentworth.
               b.) Different facets of supporting characters exposed ( New ways of seeing old characters.)
               c.) Original, surprising ways to assail enemies and crises since the old dynamic had been tossed away with Victor's death.
               d.) New secrets of Victor revealed with the entrance of his soul echo.
               e.) New regions of the French Quarter exposed along with new enemies who had always lurked in them.
               f.) When Victor returned in THREE SPIRIT KNIGHT, the stakes were thus raised, the dangers even deadlier, and fates of friends to be changed or die in the trying.

          5.) Take IRON MAN 3:

               1.) New Director, Shane Black, had to make the movie different, better than the other two that went before it and THE AVENGERS which set the bar high for the Marvel movies to come.

               2.) How did he do that?

               3.) Read the plot:
                    Tony Stark uses his ingenuity to fight those who destroyed his private world and soon goes up against his most powerful enemy yet: the Mandarin.

               4.) Black takes it all away from Tony Stark until he is left as he was at the start of the first IRON MAN with only his wits and his heart to save himself and the one he loves.

C. HOW TO MAKE MONEY ON YOUR EBOOK?

          1.) Think sideways.
          2.) Go to CREATE SPACE and produce a print version of your book.
          3.) It will make the $3.99 you charge for your eBook look attractive compared to the $16.95 price to your print book.

D.) HOW TO MAKE A MEDIA PLATFORM THAT WORKS IN 2013:

          1.) LEARN FROM ALEX CAVANAUGH!

               a.) He works HOURS each day on the net, visiting the blogs of others and guest posting on them.
               b.) Does he ask to guest post?  No.  HE IS ASKED TO DO THEM.

               c.) Why?  HE HELPS OTHERS NOT HIMSELF WITH HIS BLOG.

               d.) Facebook, Twitter, book tours, prizes, contests
                    they all continue to diminish in effectiveness and will continue to do so.

          2.) MARKETING takes HOURS DAILY like writing takes MONTHS.

          3.) If you are like me, you don't have hours to invest into it.
               a.) What time you do have, invest wisely.
               b.) Don't fritter it with Twitter or Facebook (which now charges you to hawk your books.)
               c.) On your blog, be caring, funny, and focused on helping others.

NOTE:
          1.) I am not promising that within 3 years, you will be a self-supporting author.
          2.) But you will have grown as a writer and as a human being, making good friends along the way.
          3.) How cool is that?

12 comments:

  1. I had to hide my giggle as I read through the post at the information shared since there really are lots of folks hawking this same information for a low price of $49.99 for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have achieved SO much Roland with your writing. You have evolved in your writing, and I will often read passages from your stories to get my mind going. I do this with awesome writers, among whom you are. I feel fortunate to call you my friend!

    Happy Holidays, brother!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ..'don't fritter with Twitter' made me laugh, Roland.

    I would be annoyed at the changes FB and now Pinterest are doing, except, I don't use either one.

    'Free' always comes with a 'future pricetag'. Aren't they called loss leaders for a reason? It should say, free for now.

    When I see blogs like yours who share info about writing, I usually follow those blogs. It's the sharing/giving aspect that does it.

    Most published writers now have a book on writing. So it's odd when some authors disparage new writers, yet want them to buy their books on how to write. Isn't there a conflict here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm just reading along and there's my name - whoa! Thank you, Roland. I really don't think I do anything special though.
    And Megan Fox was surprised?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angela:
    I guess those sellers are a mite upset with me now. :-)

    Ann:
    You made my weary evening better with your kind words. I feel honored to call you friend, too!

    D.G.:
    I'm happy I made you laugh. :-)

    I even have a book on how to write (GHOST WRITERS IN THE SKY) but it is only 99 cents. And the ghost of Mark Twain says his wisdom in it alone is priceless! But you know how humble he isn't!

    I try to share what I've learned to make those who follow after me have a smoother path than I had.

    I'm always happy to see you in the comments section!

    Alex:
    Of course you do something special each and every post for your fellow bloggers. And I appreciate it deeply.

    The Post Office sent your autograph of Samuel L. Jackson back to me for some reason even though I got the address correct.

    I will send it to you again after the Christmas craziness has ended.

    And yes, on Jay Leno's show, Megan said she thought her baby was a vampire baby like Bella's during the first month of her pregnancy! Whoa!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent advice, Roland. Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice. Thanks. :)

    (PS- I 'fritter with Twitter' a little. Are you telling my my 1200+ followers won't come in handy when the times comes to announce my debut?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. dear roland! well, another year in blogland and here you are going strongly forward! wishing you and yours a wonderful holiday season - all my best wishes - jenean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mina:
    I hope yours is a healing and happy Christmas & New Year as well!

    Melissa:
    Many follow back out of rote on Twitter. And our voices asking for others to buy our books are lost in a tidal wave of hundreds of like requests.

    I pray that your 1200+ followers do help your debut. My 800+ have not done so.

    May your holidays be festive and fun! :-)

    GYPSYWOMAN:
    It's so good to see you here again! Yes, we both have survived another year in Blogland. I, too, wish you the best holiday ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year, Roland! Great advice. Who knew pregnancy would be painful? *snorts*

    I'm amazed by Alex's presence on the net. He is so supportive!

    Here's to a year of great sales.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Roland
    I saw you mentioned on Alex site and came over a little late. You're absolutely right. I'm so glad it is all working out well for you.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jennifer:

    I, too, am amazed by how pervasive and supportive Alex is on the net! May both our sales skyrocket! :-)

    Nancy:
    Ah, thanks for the good thoughts. But I have sold only three books in thirty days! Ouch!!!

    May this year be great for us both, Roland

    ReplyDelete