FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, July 18, 2023

WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO WRITE?


Alice Walker, Ntozake Shange, and Langston Hughes, were all inspired by spirituals, jazz, and blues. 

These writers understood that music opens up pathways to creative thinking, that can help us weave together thoughts and ideas. 

We already know that music inspires creativity––especially creative writing

 

This is a bit odd but I find Christmas music to be very inspiring for my writing, 

especially old Christmas songs from the 40s and 50s.

 I think we tend to think of the holidays, especially Christmas, as a time of joy and happiness.

 But, the reality is the holidays can be a very lonely and sad time for many people.



Of course, soundtracks

also play a big part 

in my writing.



John Steinbeck in 1909 
at the Salinas Fairgrounds.
with his sister Mary, 
sitting on the red pony, Jill,
 whom he made famous in his novel. 


A wild ride through the Swiss Alps long ago
inspired me to write a section in my troublesome, writer-blocked novel, NO RESHOOTS FOR DEATH.


An actual fiasco, Exercise Tiger, a rehearsal for D-Day in which 1000 soldiers were killed --
many by friendly fire, mismanagement,
as well as by Nazi E-Boats --
inspired me to write a chapter in my latest WIP
SAME AS IT NEVER WAS


Sometimes the worst enemies
in war are those who command 
without regard for the troops
under them
and
Cover-Up  
masks unmarked graves
(like the many from
Exercise Tiger.) 


What has inspired you to write lately?

Is love involved?


Tell me.
I'd like to know.

2 comments:

  1. I find the most Inspiration to Write by Surroundings even if nothing of note is happening. Visuals rather than Sounds Inspire me... I could be inspired by Silence if the Visuals are touching my Soul...Dawn... the Bohemian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The visuals in my head, whether from memories or imagination, are a great source of inspiration to me, too, Dawn. Thanks for dropping by again. :-)

      Delete