FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, November 7, 2023

NOIR-vember_AS YOU HUNT THE TIGER


 

AS YOU HUNT THE TIGER

“The sublime comes down to the spirit itself. The spirit and space. The empty spirit in vacant space. What wine does one drink? What bread does one eat?”

 - DayStar

 


The palace had offered the sort of welcome I expected, the walkway lined on either side by pikes topped with severed tiger’s heads.

A bit sophomoric for a cosmic being. My enemy must be growing bored.

Which might mean my timing was right on the mark … or not.

Story of my unlife.

Lucy Wentworth was dying in my arms, her blood mingling with my own cursed one.

Her trusting eyes sought mine as we stood before DayStar

who was currently slumming as the feared Priyadassi (beloved of the peoples) Asoka.

I hear in the most dissolute parts of the French Quarter he went by the name of Mr. Morton.

An asp by any other name still kills.

His title in India was ironic as befit DayStar.

 Monarchy is based on fear, cruelty and on the mercy of the ruler … or lack thereof.

All through the ages, Cruelty was a way of life, 

so whoever’s name actually pops up in history books was far more cruel than the standards of those days.

Priyadassi Asoka’s name would be in red in the history books detailing this time. 

The red of the blood of those who it pleased him to torture then kill.

His slightly slanted eyes glittered under his turban like the unfeeling diamond of which his heart was composed.

He spoke, and his voice sounded golden and hollow like the ghost bells I once heard in Burma.

“This is why I refrain from killing you, McCord. Just when my ennui is near to choking me, you do something monumentally farcical.”

Lucy looked up startled at me, and I murmured, “He is my second greatest enemy.”

He looked startled himself, then cruelly amused. “Oh, you are being metaphysical.”

His deep-set eyes locked on her own frightened ones. 

“He considers himself his own greatest enemy. How droll.”

He sneered at me. 

“Did you have the abjectly stupid thought that I would heal this urchin for you?”

“You already have.”

“What?”

“Notice her wounds even now are mending, her wounds closing.”

He shot to his feet. “Not I! I do not heal. I destroy!”

“You heal all the time … yourself. You should have learned that as you hunt the tiger, he studies you … as I have been studying you.”

As Lucy watched with ever-widening eyes, I went on,

“In the past, I’ve noticed how listless, how weakened you grew. Then, you lashed out savagely towards those who could not fight back.”

Lucy wiggled out of my arms to bounce on the ground with her old vitality, and I ironed my face with gloved fingers.

“You grew strong once more. It seemed your cruelty blossomed a healing aura about you.”

He shook his turbaned head.

“And you wagered that my aura would heal this brat?”

I shook my own head.

“No. As you say – you destroy; you do not heal … others. 

But I rolled the dice that your aura would act as a catalyst that would make of my cursed blood a healing agent.”


He focused the considerable weight of his gaze upon Lucy.

“Then, why should I not wither you where you stand, brat?”

She drew herself up as tall as she got, “You will not.”

“Really? Why not?”

“Too short. Too simple. Your toying with Captain Sam says you like to play the long game.”

“I do not play games, little one.”

“Of course, you do. What else do you have to do in your exile, Mr. Devil?”

“Devil am I?”

“You do not cast a shadow.”

“I do not scare you?”

“You give me the wobblies, Mr. Devil. 

But Captain Sam has taught me to swallow them and go and do what needs to be done.”


“Your soul burns like a miniature sun with your naïve faith. In this state I cannot touch you, Lucille Wentworth. But I will be watching … and waiting.”

“Then, I shall try to live an interesting life.”

As we walked out of his compound, Lucy looked up at me, swallowed hard, and managed to get out,

“Did you just save me, Captain Sam, or curse me?”

I sighed, “Like with most of my life, a little of both.”


“The exceeding brightness of this earthly sun makes me conceive how dark I have become.”

- DayStar

2 comments:

  1. Bless you pen and paper, Roland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Misky, for saying so. This was a small incident that never made it into THE STARS BLEED AT MIDNIGHT.

      Delete