FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, April 1, 2024

APRIL 2ND and Insecure Writers Support

 

“If you have not done things worthy of being written about, at least write things worthy of being read.”

― Giacomo Casanova

Casanova ritratto.jpg
Birthdate:2 April 1725
 

So?  You have decided to ride the Outlaw Trail of days with me, have you?

Come with me to 1927 and listen to a haunted tale from a stretch of the Badlands the Lakota still fear:





We will have some fun, no?

Almost as much fun as this gringo had:



On April 2nd, 1725, Giacomo Cassanova was born, and erotic tall tales were never the same.


On this date in 1796, a forged Shakespeare play, VORTIGERN AND ROWENA, flops in London,

helping to expose its author, William Henry Ireland, as a fraud ... or a late April Fool's prankster.


Emile Zola, author of Nana, was born on this day in 1840

“There are two men inside the artist, the poet and the craftsman. One is born a poet. One becomes a craftsman.” ― Émile Zola


Sadly, this date also contains irony and tears:


1917:

President Woodrow Wilson tells Congress "The world must be made safe for democracy." 

asking Congress for a declaration of war and to send U.S. troops into battle against Germany in World War I .

And American young men have been dying ever since making the world safe for democracy.


stands for Bradbury -- Ray Bradbury,

whose loss I still feel.  SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES is one of my favorites of his.  What is your favorite Bradbury tale?

“You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.” ― Ray Bradbury




Here is Ray Bradbury giving my insecure writers' support for this month:

11 comments:

  1. I'd agree that's one of his best stories. The Martian Chronicles is good, just don't watch the movie as it's awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that mini-series did not do his tale justice, did it? Have you watched Netflix's 2 Body Problem?

      Delete
  2. What a great clip of Ray Bradbury. Illuminating to hear him ruminate on his history and philosophy. He's always been a hero of mine, because he responded to my son's letter to him when my son was 11 and a huge fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ray Bradbury never let his fame rob him of his humanity and kindness. I'm glad you enjoyed my post on him.

    I wrote a homage (which no one reads) to his SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES in my Carnival of the Damned (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0169K0XME)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, here Pat Garcia. Thank you for showing the clip on Ray Bradbury. Loved it. Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm intrigued by these "outlaws" you're featuring - these little snippets are enticing, makes one want to take a deeper dive.
    I really enjoyed the video on Ray Bradbury - you feel his passion for his craft.
    On to C I go... happy writing, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire you for taking on the A-Z Challenge, Roland! Doing it would put me over the edge. I enjoyed what you shared about Ray Bradbury. Enjoy IWSG Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great quote by Giacomo Casanova.

    I enjoyed each fact you highlighted. I always learn something new when I come to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes you understand why Casanova won over so many ladies, right?

      Delete