FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, February 22, 2010

WHERE ARE WE GOING FROM HERE?


Arthur Schopenhauer was born on this day in 1788. Who you say? Don't look at me like that. Mine is just the kind of mind that remembers these sort of things.


He was the German philosopher known for his atheistic pessimism {maybe the two go together?} and for his philosophical clarity. One of the things he wrote that sticks with me is : 'Reading is equivalent to thinking with someone else's head.' And if that allows us to think outside the box of our own perspective, is that such a bad thing?


Another historical note : Today in 899, Arnulf of Carinthia was crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Formosus in Rome. But his rival, Lambert of Spoleto, kept the throne anyway. I bet Bush would have loved to have repeated that bit of history. What did Edward Kennedy say? "Frankly, I don't mind not being president. I just mind that someone else is."


And because I'm a Science Fiction/Fantasy writer, I know the following : Every morning since its construction in the 13th century B.C, the first rays of sunlight would on this day {and again on October 22nd} illuminate the innermost shrine of the temple to -- cue the spooky music -- the Sun god Amon-Re at Abu Simbel, Egypt. Strange footnote : because of their remote location the temples were unknown until their discovery in 1813. They were first explored in 1817. All I can say is that somebody sure had no sense of curiosity. Or maybe there was a -- again cue the spooky music -- a curse.


Hey, I'm a writer. I think like that.


I'm listening to "Born" by OVER THE RHINE. I'm getting ancient. This innovative band favorite of mine is celebrating its 20th anniversary. The leader, Linford Detweiler, recently did an interview with Stereo Subversion where he says he recently has started composing songs based upon his reflections of this band's long life : "What have you done for the last 20 years? Did any of it really matter? Why are we still doing this? What are we doing with our lives?" Good questions for all of us to ponder. Check out their website : http://www.overtherhine.com/ Just don't tell Linford I think his wife, Karin Bergquist, still has a sexy voice.


No comments:

Post a Comment