FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

DARE TO JOIN THE LEAGUE OF NIGHT




A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away ... uh, no that's STAR WARS.

Actually it was in junior high when I discovered BEAU GESTE in the school library.  

My four buddies looked at me as if I were nuts when I laid the phonebook-sized tome on the study hall table we shared.

Then, I told them of the desert mystery of a fort defended by dead men, a stolen jewel, and ...

My friends were hooked.  

From that incident sprang our weekend overnight stay-over's 

where we watched old movies and were read pulp fiction by my mother (Sherlock Holmes, Fu Manchu, Doc Savage, etc.)

And so the League of Five was born.

I offer you a chance to join my League of Night ...

Ian Tregillis's Something More Than Night is a Dashiell Hammett and Raymond Chandler inspired murder mystery set in Thomas Aquinas's vision of Heaven. 

It's a noir detective story starring fallen angels, the heavenly choir, nightclub stigmatics, 

a priest with a dirty secret, a femme fatale, and the Voice of God.

Somebody has murdered the angel Gabriel. 

Worse, the Jericho Trumpet has gone missing, putting Heaven on the brink of a truly cosmic crisis.

Who is Ian Tregillis?

 He is the author of a triptych of alternate history series, Bitter Seeds, The Coldest War and Necessary Evil

 He lives near Santa Fe, New Mexico, where he works as a physicist at Los Alamos National Laboratory. 

In addition, he is a member of the George R. R. Martin Wild Cards writing collective.

Kirkus Reviews picked it as one of the best Sci Fi books of 2013, saying:

 "Superlatives seem superfluous. Instead...wow. Just-wow."

George R. R. Martin said of Ian: "A major talent."

Go to the library or buy a used hardback from Amazon for 57 cents.  

Join me as I read this fantasy.science fiction.  

Join the LEAGUE OF NIGHT with me and tell me what you think of it.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Roland
    I remember reading Beau Geste years ago, but for the life of me I can't remember much about it. Must be time to read it again. And isn't that a wonderful cover...

    Yolanda is reclining on the couch this week, spouting murderous imaginings...

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm heading out of the door on a blood run, but tomorrow I will be there to listen to Yolanda. Why didn't I see your new post on my blog list I wonder. Beau Geste was great fun for boys to read ... the movie with Gary Cooper saved us from having to slog through the giant book!

      Isn't that a striking cover?

      Delete
  2. The league of five sounds like part of the best childhood ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In many ways it was a wonderful childhood. :-) The book stretches your imagination, letting you see eternity and God may follow non-linear lines in ways that most do not even suspect. Ian is a physicist so that explains it. Sadly, he has a serious internal break in the book's logic that could have been easily explained with Vonnegut's dictum: "What you pretend to be long enough, you become." :-(

      Delete