FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, February 8, 2016

IN THE LAND OF GIANTS


I was reading Anne R. Allen's blog post on why we should use the unfriendly Google+:

http://annerallen.com/2016/02/authors-google-plus-google-awful.html


And she commented she had 9 million visits to her Blogger profile in response to Alex Cavanaugh's 16 million visits.




Me?

A little over 17,000.  I am a fallen acorn in a forest of Redwoods.


Take the new A TO Z CHALLENGE:
http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com/


There are some Third World Nations without as many citizens as there are entrants into this challenge!

Do you sometimes feel small and insignificant in the enormous world of blogging giants?


Many Bloggers Are So Discouraged By What They Lack 

 They Fail To Appreciate What They Have

 

What do you have that no one else has?

You have You.

No one thinks or writes as you do.  No one has your sense of humor.

 

To Have A Stand-Out Blog ...

Here are some important steps to take:

 

STEP 1: Share Other Blogger's posts in links -

No matter how big or small they might be, every blogger enjoys having their content shared.


 STEP 2: Leave Comments
Don’t just leave any old comment, though…
Write comments which expand the conversation.


 STEP 3: Write comments where it’s clear you read the post.


If possible, be one of the first people to comment on a post.

This is where being an email subscriber and Twitter follower comes in handy. 

When a new post goes live, you’re ready to pounce.

If you consistently leave insightful comments (and you’re consistently one of the first to comment), 

you may just get replies THAT LEAD OTHERS TO YOUR BLOG.


STEP 4: Link To Great Bloggers In Your Posts

A wonderful thing about following authority bloggers is 

you are introduced to awesome content you can feel good linking to and sharing with your readers.


 STEP 6: Be Cool

Don’t be “that guy” or “that girl.” 

Don’t follow, share, comment, or link just so you can immediately hit up someone for a favor.

Yes, much further down the line, asking for a back-link may draw visitors to your blog, but be discreet.

 This — all of this — is about building relationships.


STEP 7: Your Blog Cannot Be Covered in Ads.

Remember the fight scene in Anchorman?  


STEP 8: Your Blog Cannot Be Filled With Grammatical Errors

 Don’t be so imperfect influential bloggers decide you’re not worth the time commitment.

(In short, make sure your posts are proofread and edited before publishing.)


STEP 9: Develop Your Own Voice:

 Attitude, tone, and personal style are part of a writer’s voice.  

Make sure yours stem from your heart and mind.

***
When I write my novels, I write them as movies within my head.  (Do you?)

Here is the music I see in the opening credits to THE NOT-SO-INNOCENTS ABROAD ...

As the Air/Steamship, Xanadu, sails across the skies above a storm-tossed ocean:

14 comments:

  1. Sigh. One of these days I swear I'll resurrect my blog. I especially have to once I publish my Charity MacCay novels. But unlike you and Alex, I'm really not a natural blogger, and I can't tell you how much I admire your discipline and creativity for doing it so often and so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worked 12 hours straight today, and I have just stumbled in the door. My head is light; my chest has a stabbing pain over my heart.

      I wrote because I wanted at least one more post on my blog if I did not awaken tomorrow morning.

      I'm not a natural blogger. I just wanted to say HI or perhaps BYE to my internet friends. :-)

      Thanks for the nice words, Helena. Just write one post a week at the start to get the creative juices flowing perhaps?

      Delete
  2. Hi Roland - it is discipline .. and reading how Alex says he's done it in his post today ... one of the sites! is inspirational and very pertinent to us all. As this post is ... read the post and comment appropriately, and the ohter points you've highlighted. Just do it.

    I don't usually comment first .. but I do find I get new bloggers still come over.

    The A-Z blogging challenge is a great meeting place and certainly has led to lots of my connections over the years ...

    You write so well .. and incorporate your skill at scene and character setting into your posts, as too the stories you write.

    Then the advice you offer consists of things we need to take on board ...

    Cheers - you are a writer .. but at least by being here and blogging your word gets out - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point: if I write, then by definition, I AM a writer. Of course, Midnight looks at me as to say "Calling you a writer is like calling a woodpecker a carpenter!"

      Thanks for being my friend, Roland

      Delete
  3. Oh, you write the best and most helpful blog posts. I've accepted that I will never be a noticed writer, but I'm good with that. And I'm taking Journaling Woman back to its original roots which means I will post more. I enjoy talking about current events and personal stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go with what you enjoy. Your pleasure will show in your prose, and everyone will benefit.

      I love your personal posts. :-)

      Delete
  4. Now writing your books as a movie is the imagery I get when I read them.

    You better take care of yourself. You'll break my heart if you just stop posting. Go to a doctor and get that chest pain checked out. Preventative or appropriate care is important.

    I think you got a few miles to go before you sleep. Ruh roh, you got me quoting other writers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and Scooby-Doo to the rescue -- but like the furry hero, I don't like going to the vet! :-)

      Thanks for caring about me staying healthy, Ann

      Delete
  5. Awesome blogging tips. I couldn't have said it better myself.
    I had to hop on over to my Google + account to see my views. I have a little over 1.5 million. That surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See? You're a giant Redwood. Me? I'm still the acorn! :-) Thanks for the nice words.

      Delete
  6. I write my books like movies, too! I guess that's why too much plotting doesn't work for me because it plays out in my head and I just translate it to paper.

    I've been having a hard time finding my voice and getting my content semi-regular, but I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. I think that's probably the toughest thing about blogging! Well, that and also trying to keep up with commenting!

    I've got around 41 thousand views on Google+ which is pretty surprising to me considering I don't really post much there expect to update my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was talking about profile views which is was Alex was talking about.

      I don't know how to check for Google+ views. But Blogger says I have 675,000 blog views -- but I have been around for 5 years, too.

      Glad to see another movie/book plotter! :-)

      Delete
  7. Excellent! It is all about building relationships. And being a servant.
    All those views would mean more if I knew why they happened!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because you visit so many blogs and are a friend to so many more bloggers. :-)

      Delete