FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Thursday, September 15, 2016

WHAT YOU KNOW THAT JUST AINT SO!


THE BANE OF THE ALARM CLOCK
"Some mornings it is just not worth chewing through the leather straps." 
 - Hannibal Lector


 You don't need to be a doctor to appreciate that the sudden shrill of an alarm could be bad for your heart. 

But scientists have now proved this is true. 


In a study conducted by the National Institute of Industrial Health in Japan,

participants who were forced awake by a loud alarm clock had higher blood pressure and heart rate,

increased levels of stress hormones which stayed with them most of the day which hurt their immune system.


THE EARLY WORM GETS EATEN!


 "Early to rise and early to bed makes a male 
healthy, wealthy, and dead!" 
 - James Thurber

 Ever had the Sunday Night Blues?  Sure we all have.

But the end of the weekend might just be more than depressing!

New research shows the transition of sleeping in on off days to 

rising early on work ones to an early morning alarm

increases the risk for diabetes and heart disease.  Ouch!


DIE IS THE FIRST SYLLABLE IN DIET!

"No one wakes up in the morning and says: 
'I want to gain 150 pounds, and I want to do it now!'" 
- Orson Welles

Repeated crash dieting increases metabolic hormones 
such as insulin and elevates sex hormones such as estrogen.

These changes cause you to start putting weight around your middle. insulin resistance, diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease.

Double Ouch!!


YOU TALKING TO ME?
“Courage isn't having the strength to go on - 
it is going on when you don't have strength.”
- Napoleon

Napoleon at 5' 7" was actually taller than the average man of that time. 


AH, ARE YOU LOST? 

 “Sometimes when you lose your way, you find YOURSELF.” 
 - Mandy Hale

The Earth does NOT revolve around the sun but around the solar system's center of mass!


The center of mass in the solar system is called the Barycenter. 

Usually it’s contained within the mass of the sun, but not always. 

When it’s outside the mass of the sun, the Earth is just orbiting around empty space!

DO YOU KNOW ANY OTHER 
FALSE "FACTS"?
 

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. There are so many false "facts" floating out there that I view most statements from experts with more than a grain of salt!! :-)

      Delete
  2. Wait, what? Napoleon was that tall? I always thought he was like five feet tall. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not for the first time, we learn that history lies. :-(

      Delete
  3. The phrase, "Let them eat cake," is falsely attributed to Marie Antoinette. I looked it up. :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_them_eat_cake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Marie Antoinette. She was treated shabbily by everyone mostly in her life. I bring her into some of my books for that reason as historical seasoning. :-) Thanks for the great review on THE NOT-SO-INNOCENTS ABROAD by the way!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Me, too. The ghost of Oscar Wilde just snidely told me that Napoleon's sobriquet of “le Petit Caporal,” (“The Little Corporal”) was what his wife called a part of his anatomy! Forgive Oscar, he gets that way sometimes! :-)

      Delete
  5. That's why it's dumb to diet. Changing your eating habits permanently is the only way to do it.
    You mean Bill and Ted lied to me about how short Napoleon was?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You nailed it, Alex. Make healthy eating a lifestyle that you can maintain.

      I think it might just be possible that poor Bill and Ted might have been using recreational drugs at the time! :-)

      Delete
  6. Damn alarm clocks. I hate them with a passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get up earlier than I need to in order not to hear them!

      Delete
  7. I am NOT a morning person! But I do try to get myself moving by nine. I spent most of my working life getting up at 5:30 so I figure this is compensation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arrrgh! I hate early morning risings. I think after all those early mornings, you deserve to sleep in! Thanks for the tweets about my new book. :-)

      Delete
  8. My alarm clock is small and has a quiet alarm, but I STILL hate that sound in the morning. Or at any time. It could play Pachabel's Canon and I would still hate it.

    I know someone who has repeatedly crashed dieted and now he really has trouble losing any weight. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To make less eating a constant lifestyle is the only way to lose weight and keep it off. Alarm clocks are not my friends!! :-)

      Delete
  9. I hate alarm clocks! I had a nice, calming alarm on my cell phone, but I don't have that anymore, and I refuse to use the alarm clock that does almost give me a heart attack when it goes off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that jump-starting yourself every morning had to be wrong!! :-)

      Delete