FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

V is for VINYL





"It was so exciting to go to the record shop,
buy a piece of vinyl
 and hold it,
read the liner notes,
look at the pictures.
Even the smell of the vinyl.”
Martin Gore
(founding member of Depeche Mode
and writer of the majority of their songs)

What Does The Comeback
of Vinyl Records
Tell Us About Ourselves?

Vinyl records are said to be an old and obsolete way of listening to music.  

But no one told the millenials who have bought more than 13 million vinyl records last year!

Vinyl records have a rawer sound than the digitized "perfect music" of CD's or digital downloads.

The grooves of the disc contain all the sounds recorded ...

 and the dust and scratches give the popping sound that somehow stirs us with evocative images of bygone times.

The comeback of vinyl is rooted in its distinctive lack of audio cleanness and perfection—

what fans call the “warmth” of the vinyl sound.

Life isn't perfect.  Life has flaws.  A perfect CD lacks the very life it seeks to exude. 

What does that say about us?

Perhaps, it says we yearn for the authentic, the pulsing pop and snap of real life in our entertainment.

What do you think?

Does this parlay to modern movies which seem so full of CGI 
that they lack any pulse at all?

       

8 comments:

  1. Hi Roland - I'm not a music pundit in any shape or form ... but I enjoy learning about the hows and whys of some inventions, re-inventions ... etc - I certainly yearn for some sense and sensibility in our lives ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/v-is-for-vaynol-cattle.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I also yearn for some sense and sensibility in our lives. But sadly, we do not even find them in the novel of the same name by Jane Austen.

      Delete
  2. I set up at a local flea market on Sundays, selling mostly old books, magazines, and comic books... but I also sell vinyl LPs. Ten or twenty years ago it seemed you couldn't give them away, but now I do quite a good business with them. I love it. The advent of CDs years ago made me miss the days when the album cover art was a major attraction to the LP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to love the read the back cover notes on those albums. I learned so much about the importance of soundtracks by the notes on the back of the soundtrack to the movie, Arabesque.

      I miss all my old vintage comics that burned up when my house did. :-(

      Delete
  3. I received a vinyl digital recorder a while back and I have recording all of our records. I got through the 400 45's and 2/3 of the 300+ albums. I probably could have sold them, but we have a friend about our age who loves the old 70's and 80's music and we've just been giving them to him in batches. They have the snaps, but it's nice to be able to hear them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing vinyl LP's on a turntable with great sound is an experience I miss. My turntable burned along with ALL my vinyl recordings, including all the Beatles albums. :-(

      Delete
  4. Great topic, Roland. My daughter is a vinyl collector, has been for about five years now. I still recall the novelty of a compact disc and how we all rushed to get rid of our turntables in favor of the digital sound. I still have several of my CD's but also some of my old records from my teen years. I have no turntable at the moment but it's something I want to revisit. Ahhh, the parties with records laying all over the floor, beer spilled on some and my brother was going to kill me if I touched his. Haha. Let's just say I was killed a few times but I live to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember the novelty of a compact disc and the promise of pristine sound. But I still remember my college days listening to LP's of the poet Rob McKuen, folk music, and the rock of the times. Sigh. I so loved the glimpse of you and your brother in your comment! :-)

      Delete