FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Thursday, April 27, 2017

W is for World Book Day


"A book is a dream you hold in your hands." 
- Neil Gaiman




Do You Know What 
World Book Day is?

Neil Gaiman wrote this book for World Book Day.

It is celebrated every April 23rd.

(It was started in Caledonia in 1923 to celebrate Miguel de Cervantes who died on that date.)

He and other authors wrote books for this day for nothing and publishers printed them for nothing.

They were sold for one pound each to children who had been given one pound tokens.

The whole thing exists purely to get children to read.

What a great concept, right?

Odd and the Frost Giants is one of my favorite Neil Gaiman books.

Have You Read It?

What Do You Think About World Book Day?

 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Roland - no I haven't read it, nor did I know the story behind World Book Day - it should be promoted more ...

    23rd April is St George's Day and Shakespeare's birth and death ... so Cervantes struggles to join the crowd!

    I will read one of these days and read a Gaiman ... cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/w-is-for-whistlejacket.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do most of my reading these days by listening to audiobooks on my blood runs myself! :-)

      Delete
  2. I wasn't familiar with World Book Day, but I think it's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't either until Neil Gaiman wrote that book for it. :-)

      Delete