FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Thursday, June 18, 2020

WHAT RAY BRADBURY HAS TO SAY TO US TODAY



“There is more than one way to burn a book. And the world is full of people running about with lit matches.”
Ray Bradbury 


Ray Bradbury was acutely aware that human society can easily become oppressive and regimented.

His Fahrenheit 451 (the temperature at which paper burns) seems a precursor to today's Cancel Culture.

If I dislike a shirt you wear, I try to get you fired, kicked from whatever medium you speak upon.  

In essence, I try to erase, to burn you from existence.


The ability to reason is what sets humans apart from animals and technology; 

we must not squander this evolutionary advantage!

I do not see much evidence of reason in mobs that pull down statues that offend them.  

The rule of law says that we seek legislation to remove those statues without vigilante storming,


How can Gov. Cuomo or Mayor Bill de Blasio, justify penalizing anyone for drinking or dining in the streets, when they all but cheer people protesting?

If it is all right to protest, how can you ban funerals?

It is 1984's DOUBLE SPEAK but this time in reality.



What would Ray Bradbury urge us?

 “Don't ask for guarantees. And don't look to be saved in any one thing, person, machine, or library. 

Do your own bit of saving, and if you drown, at least die knowing you were heading for shore.”
 

 "But you can't make people listen. 

They have to come round in their own time, wondering what happened 

and why the world blew up around them. It can't last.”

Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451 


5 comments:

  1. I spent a good time of deal online last night. I was going to order some sausage and boudin from hacketts there in Lake Charles. I almost cried when I read the article about their closing after 32 years due to tremendous increases a prices on beef pork and chicken. A mom and pop store which operated for 32 years. Hackett's used to be one of my very favorite places to eat and to grab 10 pounds of sausage every Friday.

    Then it dawned on me just how many small mom-and-pop businesses in the Lake Charles area and Southern Louisiana and the rest of the entire nation have had to close and will not reopen.

    I feel the tremendous weight of pain across the United States, from all the money businesses that once were vital in many people's lives. Now no more...

    I must be honest it has bothered me tremendously to see statues of the Confederacy being destroyed. Bothers me even more that's so many people who do not see the Heritage here. It bothers me that some want to elevate the North and themselves. So many people do not understand at the time of the Civil War there were dang near as many slave owners in the North.
    It really bothers me to hear people try to compare a great man and humanitarian in Robert E Lee to Hitler. That is just blind lunacy. Then again it's hard to call any man a humanitarian who was a general in the Civil War. But I guess hey even Generals in War have hearts.

    The most vital thing in preserving our Confederate statues is to remind us of the divisiveness in America at that time. I am seeing and housing a bigger division in America then ever before.

    It is important to preserve our history, otherwise how would we know where we are and where we are going unless we know where we have been. I am seeing too many similarities today. People need to comprehend what it was like for brother to fight brother and father to fight son. By no means was any of it pretty. At least put these statues in museums. I for one always appreciated seeing statues while in the south by the daughters of the Confederacy. They sure as hell does not make me a racist it just means I understand the plight of humanity during a very bloody time of division in our nation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to hear of Hackett's. :-( So many restaurants and shops have died due to Coid.

      Toppling statues seems a sad attempt to rewrite history. Tangible evidence of Man's flaws is necessary for each generation to remember and determine to be better.

      Lee freed his slaves before entering the war by the way.

      As MLK and Gandhi urged: we must become the change we wish to see in the world. If we act violently, then all we sow are seeds of violence. Sigh. So very good to hear from you again, old friend. :-)

      Delete
  2. Sorry for the many typos to the message above. I did not have my glasses and was dictating in my smartphone has a mind of its own and is not so smart after all. I will never forget you telling me Roland, I do not want any phone smarter than myself. LOL. Good to see you're writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. super hot ! Get more reviews for the entire series using honestbookreview dot com Reviews can do wonders for the book sales, better than most book promotions even.

    ReplyDelete