FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Sunday, September 5, 2021

MOVING ON_ A LABOR DAY Post

 


"It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things." 

— Theodore Roosevelt



Moving on to better things


We in Southern Louisiana after Hurricanes Laura, Delta, and now Ida

are finding moving on quite a chore.


Those of us who have jobs are lucky to escape the lockdowns.


As a frontliner, I see the heroes all around me working long hours, braving infection to help those in need.


Workers are laboring in terrible heat to restore roofs over the heads of those in need of livable homes.


Teachers are bringing order and focus to young people struggling to resume some sort of normalcy.


I was a janitor for a time while waiting for a slot to open in an operator school at a local plant.


I got looked through by passing office workers. I was beneath their notice.


My memories of the humble, wise Kwai Chang Caine reminded me that there was worth in even the humblest of tasks and in its laborers.

"All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity."

 — Martin Luther King, Jr.

What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Roland ... life whacks us at times ... take care and all the best as you recover. I just enjoy being positive, however negative life is ... and it can have its moments - I just do what I can ... all the best - hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entire world is in the worst mess, yet. Yes, you've got some bad ladies after you (Louisiana). Tell them to go home. :) I am praying your part of the world gets better soon. Suffering too long wounds the soul.

    Regarding custodians. In our school, they were next to the importance of the administrators and tended to stay employed with the district for years. They were so important to me no matter where my office was. I appreciated their help and friendship and learned from their experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Roland, I hope things are beginning to get back to "normal" for you. Sending love and prayers. Olivia/O. J.

    ReplyDelete