FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Sunday, December 10, 2023

DECEMBERING: NO SAFE MODE TO LIFE_WEP post

 


After 13 years, WEP is closing down. 

Sigh. I was there at the beginning, stayed through most of it, then Life had other plans.

Life moves on without us. Time slips through our fingers whether we’re spending it wisely or not ...

whether we even sense it slipping away or not.

There is a relentless forward current to Nature. It sweeps onward like an uncaring river carrying us with her. 

No opportunity to catch our breaths on the banks, for there are no banks to life.

We swim... well, badly... or sink.

There is no Safe Mode to life.

Life has become something of a stretch of rapids for most of us.

I hope today finds you in a better spot than you have been struggling in.

For me ...

Well, it has been interesting ... as in the Chinese curse sort of interesting.

Covid claiming me, blood running during a pandemic, having my apartment destroyed by Hurricane Laura while I was trapped within it. 

That was ... interesting.

Being homeless for seven months as my city was mostly destroyed by Laura and Delta that followed two weeks later.

A massive heart attack last Halloween ... all trick and no treat.

Back to driving rare blood ... but now, with a camera on the windshield, facing me, monitoring for any minor infraction ...

I commit even one, and I am terminated.

Interesting.

But enough about me. What do you think about me? :-)

Mother once told me: 

No one has the right to complain about something that is happening to everyone.

We all have been bobbing along some rough currents these past few years.

I pray that those currents have calmed and you find yourselves in a better place with people who care.

I hope the person you see in the mirror is wiser, if not sadder, at the tuition paid.

We are small only if we allow ourselves to become that way.

Be Large. Live Each Breath. Be kind.

Anyway, I just wanted to let Denise and the rest of you know why I haven't participated in WEP these past few years.

Oh, I even managed, with the help of several friends, to write my Magnum Opus, SAME AS IT NEVER WAS.

{A meld of GREAT EXPECTATIONS, FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR, and BAND OF BROTHERS.}

If you are curious about it:


Oh, and in the print versions, there is even an image of Midnight, my cat, at the end who I managed to keep with me during those seven ... interesting ... months.

He is shamelessly asking for reviews of my book, since he gets extra tuna when I am happy.

Well, this post has certainly taken a turn I hadn't expected ... just like life has for all of us, right?

WEP's site will stay live and after February, will accept posts on how we all are doing.

If I am still working, my battered heart still beating, I will drop in from time to time and say HI.

“Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end.” 

- Sister Ameal


15 comments:

  1. Hello Roland. I am so sorry about everything you had to go through. Thank you for joining with a farewell message. You said some lovely things there. I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roland, here is Pat Garcia. Just want want to say that it has been nice writing beside you. Your creative way of talking about yourself through your pain and crises showed you have a lot of fight within you and I wish you many more years of fighting.
    All the best.
    Merry Christmas and have a safe crossover into 2024.
    Shalom shalom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not the lone ranger when it comes to struggles these past 3 years, and I try to keep that front and center in my thinking.

      You've always been gracious and kind in your comments, and that has been a blessing. Shalom and my best.

      Delete
  3. Hi Roland - you've indeed been travelling an interesting road lately. Hope peace and joy are in your future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been an interesting road these past 2 years ... and the tolls have smarted to pay!

      Delete
  4. Roland, I guess we've sort of been on and off at different times, though I think you were sharing stories when I first started with WEP. I've been pretty much AWOL the last year or two as well, though my reasons have been (mostly) less dramatic. I hope things go more smoothly for you from here out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! :-) May the road be smooth for you from here on out, too!

      Delete
  5. How scary it must have been for you dunging hurricane Laura. Glad you bounced back for so many challenges. My health isn't good either. Stage 4 kidney failure and recently, cardiovascular disease. I'm having trouble writing and may change to just watercolors.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have had open heart surgery if the surgeons thought I would survive it. 3 stints and $600 a month heart medicine! Ouch!! Stage 4 kidney failure is scary. I will pray for your health to improve this next year!!

      Delete
  6. Hi Roland ... life can always remind us it's around - and you've had your fair share of those interruptions - I just hope that 2024 treats you kindly - or more kindly, With thoughts and best wishes for the times in front of us - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May the New Year be filled with only healing for both of us!

      Delete
  7. Hi Roland. Thanks for this final post for WEP. As you say, you're not the only one life has been rather harsh to. I feel for you and your trials and am happy you've overcome. But what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, hey?

    One of the reasons WEP is closing down is that so many are facing challenges in their personal lives and can no longer post. But one door shuts etc...

    Thanks for being such a loyal WEP member for so many years. I hope you might turn up for out regular meet-ups on the WEP site every first of the month (starting Feb 1) to share what you're up to.

    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I hope your life improves in the future.

    Your friend, Denise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merriest of Christmases and Happiest of New Years to you, too! I will be around come Feb 1st God willing,

      Delete
  8. Life always has other plans, I've found. Wishing you the best in this coming New Year. Keep writing, your stories are inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That sounds scary. I hope your 2024 goes tons better to make up for the past months.

    ReplyDelete