FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Saturday, May 21, 2011

THE CDC, THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE, AND YOU





May 16th the CDC issued a Social Media: Preparedness 101: Zombie Apocalypse :
http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp

It is such a popular announcement that it often crashes. So out of civic concern, I am distilling the announcement to its essentials :

There are all kinds of emergencies out there that we can prepare for.
Take a zombie apocalypse for example.

That’s right, I said z-o-m-b-i-e a-p-o-c-a-l-y-p-s-e. You may laugh now,

but when your bank teller starts to dig through your scalp to make a brain withdrawal, you'll be glad you read this.

And hey, maybe you’ll even learn a thing or two about how to prepare for a real emergency.



We’ve all seen at least one movie about flesh-eating zombies taking over (my personal favorite is Resident Evil),

but where do zombies come from and why do they love eating brains so much?

The word zombie comes from Haitian and New Orleans voodoo origins. But they are quite different than the infamous Alice Wentworth, who, legends say, wait for the unwary by the crypt of Marie Laveau.

The rise of zombies in pop culture has given credence to the idea that a zombie apocalypse could happen.

In such a scenario zombies would take over entire countries, roaming city streets eating anything living that got in their way. The proliferation of this idea has led many people to wonder

“How do I prepare for a zombie apocalypse?”

So what do you need to do before zombies…or hurricanes or pandemics for example, actually happen?

First of all, you should have an emergency kit in your house.

This includes things like water, food, and other supplies to get you through the first couple of days before you can locate a zombie-free refugee camp

(or in the event of a natural disaster, it will buy you some time until you are able to make your way to an evacuation shelter or utility lines are restored).

Below are a few items you should include in your kit, for a full list visit the CDC Emergency page.

•Water (1 gallon per person per day)
•Food (stock up on non-perishable items that you eat regularly)
•Medications (this includes prescription and non-prescription meds)
•Tools and Supplies (utility knife, duct tape, battery powered radio, etc.)
•Sanitation and Hygiene (household bleach, soap, towels, etc.)
•Clothing and Bedding (a change of clothes for each family member and blankets)
•Important documents (copies of your driver’s license, passport, and birth certificate to name a few)
•First Aid supplies (although you’re a goner if a zombie bites you, you can use these supplies to treat basic cuts and lacerations that you might get during a tornado or hurricane)

Never Fear – CDC is Ready

If zombies did start roaming the streets,

CDC would conduct an investigation much like any other disease outbreak.

CDC would provide technical assistance to cities, states, or international partners dealing with a zombie infestation.

This assistance might include consultation, lab testing and analysis, patient management and care, tracking of contacts, and infection control (including isolation and quarantine).

It’s likely that an investigation of this scenario would seek to accomplish several goals: determine the cause of the illness, the source of the infection/virus/toxin,

learn how it is transmitted and how readily it is spread, how to break the cycle of transmission and thus prevent further cases, and how patients can best be treated.

Not only would scientists be working to identify the cause and cure of the zombie outbreak, but CDC and other federal agencies would send medical teams and first responders to help those in affected areas

(I will be volunteering the young nameless disease detectives for the field work).
***

18 comments:

  1. Roland,

    I liked how you tied in the zombies with an disaster. Now everyone knows how to survive a zombie apocalypse AND an hurricane/tornado.

    The weather is certainly in an uproar these das...

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roland - Love the two kitties... LOL. Cute.
    And, I'm so excited. I've purchased FRENCH QUARTER NOCTURNE. I've started it and am really enjoying. YAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Michael :
    I know only all too well how it feels to be in the midst of a hurricane apocalypse! I thought I might help with a smile as the Gulf Coast faces yet another hurricane season looming over the horizon!

    Rashelle :
    I can't tell you how pleased I am that you bought FRENCH QUARTER NOCTURNE -- and that you're enjoying it. I hope you continue to find enjoyment in Sam's adventures. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! What does the CDC know? Was there anything about keeping a shotgun in your anit-zombie kit?

    No.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Walter :
    LOL. This is Louisiana. Every home already has at least one shotgun!

    Except for me, of course. I don't duck hunt. If the ducks had rail guns on their wings to fire back, then I would consider it a sport! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I laughed so hard at the Zombie Apocalypse poster. That was great.

    But thanks for reminding me of I Am Legend. I will have nightmares tonight, thanks to you. *cringes* *looks over shoulder*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barbara :
    Glad I could add laughter to your night.

    Ah, were those trudging footsteps I heard just outside your door? Moaning? Scrapping of fingernails against the glass of your window? LOL.

    Just imagine the nightmares Stephen King must have? Brrrr. Have a great Sunday, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Roland .. I thought we were waiting for the world to have ended today .. someone got their dates mixed .. but the zombies I'm sure are lurking out there in the winds .. the black and white kitten would win out - Gypsy would make sure the trip occurred to the ginger biscuit puddy-cat ... I have a simple wait - for rain ... and only need a Macintosh .. not a Mac .. or a Big Mac ..

    Cheers - enjoy the week .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilary :
    I'm sure you're right. The spirit of Gypsy would probably trip the ginger kitten herself! LOL.

    Waiting for rain here in Louisiana is never a long one! Have a great new week, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roland, You bet me to it. I was waiting another week before my emergency post. I really like yours. I was laugh all the way through.
    And living in East Texas I know what it is like too. We got hit by Rita, right after Katrina, and then Ike hit us 2 weeks short of 3 years later. After a cat 5 and a cat 4 in less than 3 years, I hope they told hurricane central the party was over and put out the no vacancy sign. Though with the droughts Texas has had a nice depression would be good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so relieved that I now know how to prepare for the inevitable disaster, whether it be zombie, natural or manmade. We've got a mouse plague here following the droughts and floods, and thinking that satay mouse could break the tedium of long life food ;)

    btw, I think we've got Zombies in our parliament...and on TV...argh, they're at the door...

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL, I actually just heard about this from my son in the states and I could not believe it, I thought he was joking. Fun post, thanks for the laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Practical advice with a smile, I like it!

    Usually I'm envious of those who live in America but I have to admit, I'm not sorry we don't get tornadoes and Hurricanes here. Zombies, now that's different. I think we have a few of those in the Government.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There's Just Life :
    We don't live that far apart since I am in West Louisiana now. I was hit by those same hurricanes, too. I know the drought is wrecking on farmers, but I am not a lover of rain since those hurricanes!! I'm glad I could give you a laugh or two.

    Sue :
    I hate to hear of your twin banes of droughts and floods -- that's just not fair. And mice on top of that. As for zombies in politics, I think being one is a requirement these days : no indepedent thought aloud -- only the herd instinct! LOL.

    Siv :
    Yes, we in the States have bizarre government officials. And our radio evangelists aren't wrapped too tight either!

    Sarah :
    I'm happy you got a smile out of this. Every locale seems to have its drawbacks, doesn't it? We have zombies in government here, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beyond awesome! LOL! I loved it. I'm so ready for the zombie apocalypse. Bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I too thought there should be some sort of armory in that preparedness kit. But I see what you mean about everyone owning a shot gun. Here in CA its hand guns and machine guns though. And knives.

    So yeah, bring on the zombies. Our kids are tired of practicing with paper targets :)

    This was a blast, Roland. Thanks for the giggles.

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  17. Everything you need to know is in Zombieland!

    One key point often overlooked is to buy guns of the same caliber, so there is less ammo required, and nobody factors in weight.

    Me, I'd have a .22 pistol and rifle with mags, shorts, and longs, and that'd probably be all the weaponry required.

    And a knife, preferably a large and small.

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eric :
    Isn't that the truth! ZOMBIELAND does have it all. All the rules : including being careful of pretty women!

    You are right about the ammo. Although you have to factor in that you will be forced to salvage ammo from houses and stores and victims. 9mm might be easier to find since so many choose that caliber or .38 ammo.

    Thanks for dropping by and chatting, Roland

    ReplyDelete