FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, February 18, 2013

Are YOU the NEXT TREND?

 
 So what's 'OUT' this year as far as books?

 Dystopian? Faeries? Steampunk? Vampires? Werewolves?

What genre has been used up?

Who knows these things? And the truth is ... something will always be a trend.

Readers fall in love with a type of storyline and

 read THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

For many young males there must be horror, action, (zombies are hot), and a smidgen of
romance.

For many young females, there must be the glamor of the supernatural, whether it be
faerie, mermaid, or hunky/"harmless" werewolves, vampires, or ghosts.

For self-published authors that means if you can establish an audience,
they will follow you loyally. 

It also means you can write about a subject or news event before the interest fades.

Case in point:

Two weeks ago,
Apple's iBookstore launched Breakout Books in the U.S.,
a new book merchandising feature that showcases books from popular self-published authors,

 including several that have already achieved New York Times bestseller status.

The New York Times covered the story last week, as did The Wall Street Journal.

Apple's merchandising team hand-picked the titles,
all of which have earned high ratings from Apple customers.

So what are the keys to writing that riveting hit?

1.)  A hero/heroine to root for:

     Heroes come in all sizes.
          Sick children, weary firefighters, debt-ridden doctors, lonely single mothers.

     Heroes from Bestsellers are memorable, flawed, yet relatable characters.

2.) THE CAVE YOU FEAR HOLDS THE TREASURE YOU SEEK.

     We grow by facing those demons we wish to flee.  The hard path and the right path
     are usually the same road.

     But they lead along detailed, fascinating worlds that ask novel questions:

          In a world where colors killed, would artists be criminals or assassins or both?

          What if shadows gained sentience?  Would they demand we go where they wanted
          or have a say in what we did with our lives?

     The evils to be faced are on a grand, primal scale depicted in such an absorbing way, it
     makes the reader imagine what she/he would do in that circumstance.

3.) CONTROVERSY is the siren of all bestsellers:

     Those books take Joseph Campbell's HERO's JOURNEY and tips it on its ear in a
     startling new way.

4.) CLIFFHANGERS, AT THE END OF EVERY CHAPTER.

     Self-explanatory really.  
     This is also partly why they are viewed as "page-turners" 

     (Or perhaps: "Chapter-turners"?).
 
5.) THE SAME THEMES: REVENGE and/or SEX 
 
      Potter wants to/(has to) avenge his parents'
      death by Voldemort.
 
     Anastasia from 50 SHADES doesn't want to sell
     Girl Scout cookies to Christian.
 
You really should watch this informative video:

10 comments:

  1. Well, if sex and controversy are what sells now, I'm screwed. Hope my fans just want one more adventure from Byron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex:
    You already have a fan base so there is no worry. Sex and controversy are what makes mega-bestsellers! Ouch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...I've recently been twiddling my thumbs, playing the role of fortune teller in an attempt at making an educated guess on the next big trend. Zombies are indeed leading the charge, but will fizzle out in due time.

    I've taken a few notes, made some logical guesses, and may actually abandon the current project in order to take a stab at hitting the mark. It's all about timing after all...timing, and of course a little sex and controversy ;)

    El

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elliot:
    I thought an intelligent zombie falling in love with a human would be big ... hence Alice and Victor.

    Alas WARM BODIES got the spotlight. You don't just have to guess correctly, you have to get noticed by thousands of readers at the same time. Rats! :-)

    I wish you luck with your guess at the next trend. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good post! I try to end my chapters with a cliffhanger and my MC definitely has to face down her fears. I might be okay. Gosh, if I keep stopping by here, I'll have my magic feather. :) Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No way could I predict what's out. I don't always read what's 'in'.

    I'll just watch for now. The tastes usually change with the next generation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts are always thought provoking, Roland. I loved the video. I'm facing my own "hero's journey" in my psychologist career right now and it's very scary! *quivers* LOL The quote about the cave is spot on. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and I think one upcoming trend (maybe not THE trend) is "New Adult" books (age 18-25). I keep hearing about them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Celeste:
    Believe in yourself and in your dream, and your prose will fly from your imagination. I'm happy that you got something useful out of my post. ;-)

    D.G.:
    I'm with you. I just try to be the best story-teller I can be. :-)

    Jennifer:
    Growing is always scary. Facing our fears is even worse. I wish you good fortune in your own hero's journey. Roland

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know I'm not going to be the next trend. I just try to write as fast as I can, with the best quality I can, and try not to suck too hard!

    :)

    Great read though, Roland. It really drives home the fact that many of the hits out there are the same story with different players.

    ReplyDelete