FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, February 11, 2013

MY FIRST POST_ MARDI GRAS MUSINGS and a KILLER ASTEROID

{2-15-10}

Happy Mardi Gras Eve

We in Louisiana think we know about Mardi Gras.

But it has been around for thousands of years.

Certain historians think that ancient fertility rituals performed by some tribes were the roots of Mardi Gras. These rituals welcomed spring's arrival.

Parts of the customs from the old festivals are also found in Lupercalia, a Roman circus-like festival taking place annually in mid-February.

The Catholic Church wanted to shift people's attention from pagan festivals so they instituted the festival of Carnival, derived from the Latin word carnelevamen { farewell to flesh.}

 Or Hello to Lent so to speak.

Mardi Gras came to North America in 1699 when the French-Canadian Pierre le Monye, Sieur de Iberville was exploring the Mississippi River.

He and his men camped on a bend of the river sixty miles south of New Orleans on March 3.

Pierre knew that Mardi Gras was being celebrated back in France so he decided to name that spot Pointe du Mardi Gras.

 And the rest, as Sherman would say, is fra gras. Just don't tell PETA.

Alright, Mr. Peabody, Sherman, and the rest of you, return to the Way Back Machine and set it for FUN.

POST SCRIPT

On 2-15-13, only 3 years after the above post was written, an asteroid will barely miss the Earth by 17,000 miles.  Barely??

Yes, barely.  Earth flies through space at 55,000 miles an hour.  It travels 17,000 miles in 14 minutes.  What if space debris clips the asteroid between now and the 15th, slowing it down enough to hit Earth?

The asteroid will hit the Earth with enough explosive power to destroy Washington, D.C. totally. 

Happy Mardi Gras, everyone! 
 

14 comments:

  1. I didn't know the full history of Mardi Gras.
    Read about the asteroid. If I was just a little farther from DC, I'd be all right with that. Of course, I think the shock wave would doom all of North America.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really interesting. I had no idea what the history of Mardi Gras was. Thanks for sharing it! And love the clip, too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting about the origins of the Mardi Gras. I've only heard one friend's account of the festival atmosphere. I'm not fond of large crowds, moving en masse.

    Anything remotely scifi in trailers I have to watch. Liked this one, it has a touch of authenticity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alex:
    Actually, there is no certain spot where it might hit if it does hit - it just would pack enough of a whallop to destroy an area the size of Washington, D.C. The asteroid will slip BETWEEN the Earth and the orbits of some of its satillites!

    Heather:
    I've always found the ancient history of Mardi Gras fun reading. Victor will find out some arcane secrets of the very ancient roots of Mardi Gras when I write DANSE MARDI GRAS.

    D.G.:
    The French Quarter Mardi Gras is only fun when watching it from an iron-laced balcony. I, too, am not fond of crowds. I am a solitary kind of man. :-)

    For every asteroid we catch in the skies like this one, there are 99 that we miss -- until one day it catches us!

    The SciFi novel, LUCIFER'S HAMMER by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, details in scientific, horrific detail the ramifications of such a strike.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damned Catholics mess with everything, lol. Now that we got past the Mayan doomsday, guess there has to be another one for us to stress over.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna:
    Now, even the Pope has resigned! Does he know something about that asteroid we don't? :-)

    I tried to visit your guest blog, but my computer froze each time I tried to visit. The site must hate my computer!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like every festival we have with any religious overtures at all--even the beginning of Lent--is always rooted in Pagan times. I was born and raised strict Catholic and, as an adult, it always makes me laugh to see how neatly the church stole every Pagan custom, slapped a new name on it and called it part of our religion.

    And the asteroid stuff freaks me out cause you just never know...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry. I meant to say part of their religion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Roland .. I love learning the history of festivals et al ... there's a mix and a meld across the earth ...

    But the satellite wham - we've had them before and no doubt will have them again .. well we won't will we!

    I'd rather be around and live my life out though .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Absolutely fascinating. Thanks for that, Roland.

    And I promise not to tell PETA. Crikey ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. In movies the asteroid usually hits NYC or maybe Paris, so New Orleans and DC are safe.

    Loved the history lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fun history lesson! I'm celebrating Mardi Gras with a store bought King Cake and parading through the house with a cat on each shoulder and a dog at my heel.

    Happy Mardi Gras, Roland. Laissez le bon temps rouler!!!

    Now, about that asteroid...?


    ~VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nifty post, Roland. I've never been to Mardi Gras, but I'd like to check it out eventually. I think the asteroid is a good plan. Let's evacuate everyone, except the politicians. :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tamara:
    The Church Fathers were sneaky -- you have to admit that! I just mentioned the asteroid to emphasize that maybe we should enjoy what beauty and fun is here at the moment. :-)

    Hilary:
    This asteroid is just a small one: the size of a football field. But if it hit the ocean and its composition were poisonous -- Wormwood anyone?

    Wendy:
    I'm glad you liked the little history lesson! Mr. Peabody is thankful to you!! :-)

    Susan:
    I have strange luck so I may well be an asteroid magnet!!

    VR:
    Now, that is my idea of a fun Mardi Gras parade! My idea of Mardi Gras fun is watching SKYFAll on my TV! LOL.

    Celeste:
    Our luck the politicians will split first!!

    I want to watch Mardi Gras from Meilori's. Maybe one day. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete