FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, February 18, 2013

HAVE JAZZ CLUB - WILL PROTECT



 
 



JP wrote me a comment to yesterday's post that made my morning ...
     and also made me think others might have similar questions:

I feel it is about time I made a statement on your blog. In the past I have commented occasionally but have never said much beyond the relevance of the comment to the post.

I find your blog quite compelling and enjoy the sometimes obscure analogies packed with good advice. For my shame I have never read any of your books but it is something I aim to put right.

I presume some are linked and ergo should be read in order. Are they all in a series or are some 'stand-alone' books? If they are a series what is the title of the first book, or if there are individual novels which is your personal favourite?

I commend you for your energy in posting so frequently and wish I had similar resolve. Thanks
.


My reply:
 
Thanks very much, JP:
Your comment meant a lot to me this morning. I've been on the go all through it, so this is the first that I've had a chance to reply:

I try to make my cyber-home a place that is entertaining, fun, and helpful.

You make me feel as if I've succeeded there a time or two. :-)

You're right:
My novels occur in the same universe, minor characters taking center-stage in their own books from time to time. In a sense, they are, indeed, linked.




Victor Standish is my Huckleberry Finn/Ulysses. And his adventures start in THE LEGEND OF VICTOR STANDISH:http://www.amazon.com/THE-LEGEND-VICTOR-STANDISH-ebook/dp/B005NCUTAG/ref=pd_sim_kstore_1



Samuel McCord takes him into his haunted jazz club, Meilori's, when Victor first arrives in New Orleans.

Samuel is part Batman, part Paladin(of HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL fame -


a gentleman gunfighter{played by Richard Boone}

who preferred to settle problems without violence; yet, when forced to fight, he excelled. Paladin lived in the Hotel Carlton in San Francisco, where he dressed in formal attire and attended the opera.

McCord lives in the haunted jazz club he named for his mysterious, now missing, wife.  He is the protector of those

who have been wounded in the shadows --

as he has been soul-wounded in his haunted past.

Paladin affected the creation of McCord's character. 

Paladin's great advantage over adversaries was not his impressive equipment or even his ability as a marksman, superior as that was;

Paladin's edge was his rich education and tactical sense.

He had an infallible ability to relate ancient antecedents to his current situations. When the enemy was surrounding him, Paladin could usually make some insightful quip about General Marcellus and the siege of Syracuse or something similar and then use this insight to his advantage.

Burying a rancher killed by Indians, he recited John Donne's "Death Be Not Proud" above the grave. In other episodes he quoted lengthy Shakespearean passages from memory.

A male role model who memorized poetry was unique in a 1950s television series. Like a chess master, he sought control of the board through superior position and usually killed only as a last resort.

McCord's modern adventures begin in FRENCH QUARTER NOCTURNE:
http://www.amazon.com/FRENCH-QUARTER-NOCTURNE-ebook/dp/B004YTMNRG/ref=pd_sim_kstore_22



His first Old West adventures begin in RITES OF PASSAGE (though the prelude & epilogue is narrated by William Faulkner in the New Orleans of the Roaring 20's)

where he meets many of the
people who star both in his and Victor's adventures:

Elu, Father Renfield, Ada Byron, Margaret Fuller, Ralph Waldo Emerson, the mysterious Meilori, and the sociopathic demi-god, DayStar.http://www.amazon.com/RITES-OF-PASSAGE-ebook/dp/B004XQVPYM/ref=pd_sim_kstore_3



I have a sampler of my different characters for 99 cents, BRING ME THE HEAD OF McCORD!http://www.amazon.com/BRING-THE-HEAD-McCORD-ebook/dp/B008ZM9B8M/ref=pd_sim_kstore_2



There is a stand-alone mystic fable, THE BEAR WITH TWO SHADOWS (Think THE LORD OF THE RINGS meets Native American myth):http://www.amazon.com/THE-BEAR-WITH-SHADOWS-ebook/dp/B004MDLWD0/ref=pd_sim_kstore_2

I hope this helps.

Thank you for liking my blog and wanting to sample some of my novels.

Always your friend, Roland

So, my friends, was there a literary or screen character who
affected the molding of your hero or heroine?

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting them in order for me as well! I've read three so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Alex:

    The order to my books according to timeline is:

    1) RITES OF PASSAGE
    2) ADRIFT ON THE TIME STREAM
    3) THE BEAR WITH TWO SHADOWS
    4) THE LEGEND OF VICTOR STANDISH
    5) UNDER A VOODOO MOON
    6) THE RIVAL
    7) CALL ME TOMBS
    8) END OF DAYS
    9) THE THREE SPIRIT KNIGHT
    10) FRENCH QUARTER NOCTURNE
    11) CREOLE KNIGHTS
    12) BURNT OFFERINGS
    13) BRING ME THE HEAD OF McCORD!
    14) THE LAST FAE
    15) LOVE LIKE DEATH
    16) THE PATH BACK TO DAWN
    17) BLACK ROSES IN AVALON
    18) LAST EXIT TO BABYLON
    19) LET THE WIND BLOW THROUGH YOU
    20) BLOOD WILL TELL
    21) THE LAST SHAMAN
    *) GHOST WRITERS IN THE SKY {My non-fiction writing manuel written by ghosts of famous writers.}

    The first 13 books fall in the myths of Victor Standish and Samuel McCord.

    #14-#18 are the myth of Fallen and Blake Adamson, the clone grown from the tissue sample taken from the Spear of Destiny.

    #19-#21 are stand-alone's. (BLOOD WILL TELL is a tale of a rare blood courier and an invasion of intelligent alien blood.)

    I hope this chronilogical order helps you and my other friends. :-)
    Grateful Roland

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great reference post, Roland. I still can't believe I haven't read your two French Quarter Nocturne books. Wouldn't it be amazing if we could add an extra day to the week during which our sole obligation was to read for pleasure?

    ~VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  4. VR:
    It would indeed be nice! I've found audiobooks help me out there as I drive by blood runs.

    I have been toying with doing an audible book on FRENCH QUARTER NOCTURNE. I have been trying to save up for a voice actor, but emergencies keep draining that fund! Ouch! :-)

    Thanks for visiting and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Roland very helpful. The Bear With Two Shadows jumped out at me straight away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. JP:
    I think you will enjoy the adventures of Hibbs, his two "brothers," and GrandMother.
    :-) Thanks for being interested. Roland

    ReplyDelete