FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Saturday, December 30, 2017

SUPERSTITIONS OF NEW YEAR'S EVE


 Although many of us do not admit to it, we do believe or follow some superstition at one time or another.

Knock on wood?  

I do, usually have to resort to knocking on my head, the universality of plastics you know.

Have you known people to stop a dog from howling to prevent death or 

to get married on a rainy day to insure a long and happy marriage?

 New Year’s Eve also has its fair share of strange myths and weird superstitions 

that are followed by many around the world. 

Here are a few:


1. No sweeping on New Year’s day.  

They say that it is an ominous act and can sweep away the good luck of the entire family.

Well, why not? Anything that keeps you from the nasty chore of cleaning is welcome, right?


 2. Wearing new clothes on New Year's Eve.

 They believe that it ensures a constant supply of new clothes for the whole year to jazz up the wardrobe.


 3. No empty pockets
 
There are people who insist that one should take care to avoid wearing a dress with empty pockets on New Year’s Eve 

since it may be a sign of very low or no income in the year to come.


4. Say no to chicken
 
If you cook any chicken dish on New Year’s day, you will have monetary troubles for the rest of the year.
 
So now you know who is responsible for all your financial troubles this year… 

Colonel Sanders!


5. Don’t do laundry
 
They say that if you do your laundry, you will certainly wash off your luck or will face a year of hard work. 

Even more ominous, doing laundry on this day is also associated with facing a family member’s death.
 
What can I say? These myths sound like work-relieving fun to me!


6. Don’t cry, honey!
 
The wise men (and women) say that one should not be miserable on this day and neither should one cry because that depression will follow you in the year to come.

So, wipe away those tears and be happy! After all, it is a new beginning.

  
7. Be Scrooge on New Year's Eve!

You should not give your cash, ornaments, precious items or other valuable things to anyone

 on the first day of the year because it may be a sign that wealth will be flowing out in the entire year. 

So, hang on to your cash until January 2nd!

  
8. Make noise and hang a lemon at New Year's Eve.

Have you ever wondered why there are fireworks on New Year’s Eve? 

It is to scare away the evil spirits and evil thoughts. 

Even hanging a lemon in the doorway helps in warding off bad spirits.

* The First Foot of New Year has a whole post coming soon here. 


Do you know of any New Year's Eve superstitions?


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was enlightening. I'd never heard any of those superstitions! Then again, I never cared much for January 1st being a holiday, and it's been many years since I treated the night before as being a good excuse to get drunk.

    By the way, I've heard the expression "knock on wood", of course, but except for the occasional joker who knocks on his own head when he says it -- and I've seen several over the years -- I've never known anyone who actually did it.

    Hope your New Year's Eve is trouble-free, and your New Year's Day is restful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got into too much trouble sober without risking getting drunk! I was the popular designated driver. :-)

      Ah, I'm one of those benighted fools who knocks on his head when saying that phrase.

      Odd questions occur to me, and Google helps me discover the answers to them -- so I thought I would share. Glad you liked the answers.

      New Year's weekend and day will see me responding to the blood needs caused by those who drunkingly think auto accidents only happen to the other guys! Ouch!

      Delete