FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Thursday, July 21, 2011

ANITA LOOS_YOU CAN'T KEEP A BAD GHOST DOWN


{"Like cheap booze, you can't keep a bad ghost down."
- Anita Loos, ghost.}

Your glowing comments about my article I posted this morning made this down ghost feel up.

And let me tell you :
that's the first time this girl has been felt up by strangers in a long time.

No howls from the feminists, please. The trouble with the Women's Liberationists is that they keep getting up on soapboxes

and proclaiming women are brighter than men.

Which is true,

but it should be kept quiet, or it ruins the whole racket.

My brother, Clifford, would painstakingly correct anyone who mispronounced our name. I never cared what people called me.

So my brother was always Dr. 'Lohse' while I became Miss 'Loose.'

Which was fitting since to survive in the madness that was Hollywood in the 1920's, I had to play it fast and loose.

Hollywood was insane then. To place in the limelight a great number of people who ordinarily would be chambermaids and chauffeurs,

and give them unlimited power and wealth, was bound to produce lively results.

But Fate keeps on happening. And insanity has apparently become the norm in Hollywood.

Still and all, this is Roland's blog, and he likes to help out his fellow writers. Luckily for you, I do, too.

In fact, I'm going to give you a way never to be stuck for what to write next ever again.

Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it? And here I am not even running for political office.

It relates to a trick I learned to lose weight : you always leave the table hungry.

You may not know this, but it takes a bite of food a half hour to make it down all those intestinal highways and byways to your stomach.

Eat til you feel full, and 30 minutes later, you'll feel over-stuffed -- because that is what you are.

In like manner, when you're writing and going good,

when you know what's going to happen next,

Stop.

If you do that every day when you're writing your masterpiece, you will never be stuck.

Don't think or worry about the next scene. This way your subconscious will work out all sorts of nifty details as you go about the rest of your day's activities.

Consciously think about what you will write next, and you'll be tired before you start.

It's like staring at the brooding, silent phone, willing it to ring, thinking about that damn man who won't call.

By the time he does call, you're so tired of waiting and out of sorts, you haven't the wit or the patience to put him down like the sick dog he is.

Now, this trick won't make you rich, but wanting to be rich is all too human and all too useless.

There is a serious defect in the thinking of someone who wants --

more than anything else --

to become rich.

As long as they don't have the money, it'll seem like a worthwhile goal.

Once they do, they'll understand how important other things are --

Like enjoying each breath you breathe, the taste of that luscious strawberry, each light caress of your lover's fingertips on your cheek --

all those things I took for granted,

until I died.

Don't you be like me, girls. Please.

Well, maybe just a little bit. "Naughty" can have its own rewards.
***
Speaking of naughty ...

take a peek into the world in which I grew up :


3 comments:

  1. LOL. Love it. Will proceed to burn my bra...again. Miss Loose...awesome. Good advice. What I do to keep on writing is that I write the first two paragraphs of my next chapter and stop. I always know what'll come next. Good analogy...of course I've always been the agressor...no patience at all when it comes to waiting for men. Yup, the trick is not to forget yourself if you have tons of money...and keep pursuing your dreams.

    Naughty...that is one of my favorite words. ...^-^...You know those author pictures you find under the back cover of novels? They depict them as serious, friendly, hardworking...blah, blah, blah. I always thought mine should be naughty...nude beneath silk burgundy sheets came to mind. I know, they'll never go for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like staring at the phone willing it to ring, I love that! Yes, that's exactly what it's like! This gal has great advice. I hope you keep her around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laila :
    Not only do you and Anita leave a bit hanging to come back to when writing, but Ernest Hemingway did the same. See? Three greats.

    I don't know about not getting your way with your described author's picture -- it might even sell a few books all on its own!

    Heather :
    I'm glad you liked Anita. She was a fun soul, deserving of a better husband -- but life has a way of bruising all of us.

    ReplyDelete