FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, June 14, 2013

SAVING GRACE AT THE END

(Image courtesy of Leonora Roy)
 
Imagination.

Will that help save us at the end? (Whatever that end might be for each of us.)

On Wednesday, Michael did a post about the weather in Chicago and how it affected the muses of his writing friends.

Words Crafter wrote a fun post on how Michael's article influenced her own imagination:

http://thewordscrafter.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-power-of-imagination.html

Global warming. North Korea's threats of nuclear attack. Economic upheaval.

Hollywood whistles in the dark at our collective fears with movies like WHITE HOUSE DOWN and THIS IS THE END.



But every era has its limited shelf-life. What do we do when that expiration date comes for each of us?

(G. K. Chesterton's self portrait)


G. K. Chesterton died on this day in 1936.

In his last years, Chesterton broadcast a popular series of talks on BBC radio — about books, but only as they gave opportunity for the medley of humor, anecdote and opinion for which he had become famous.

His last talk, titled “We Will End With a Bang,” was aimed at T. S. Eliot and the next-gen pessimists who, he felt, were overdoing the pointlessness point:

I have been intensely happy in the queerest and the quietest places.

I have been filled with life from within in a cold waiting-room in a deserted railway station.

I have been completely alive sitting on an iron seat under an ugly lamp-post at a third-rate watering place.

In short I have experienced the mere excitement of existence in places that would commonly be called dull as ditch-water.

And is ditch-water really dull?

Naturalists with microscopes have told me that it teems with quiet fun….

How has imagination served you lately? 

What do you think will be your saving grace in the dark?


6 comments:

  1. Hi-ya. I just popped over from D.G.'s blog. Where in the world have I been? You've written a bazillion books! (Thanks loads... as if my TBR list weren't long enough...)

    As for my saving grace in the dark, partly it's an inner peace that's evolved from surviving all that's been thrown at me so far. Perhaps it's just a natural by-product of age; perhaps it's a natural accompaniment to optimism and a positive attitude. Or perhaps it's indicative of faith. No matter how dark it is, I never feel completely alone, and everyday joy is how I choose to live my life.

    Anyhow, nice to meetcha. Not that you "need" another one, but I'm signing on as your newest groupie. Do me a favor, wouldja? Slow down on your writing... I've got a lot of reading to do to catch up. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see Susan here, Roland, looking for your writing, too. How great is that?

    Imagination?
    I use it every day. It's journeyed with me all my life. An inward looking child learns to appreciate a creative mind. It's what made me look with joy on the typewriter my grandmother said I could use. . .

    Saving grace?
    My ability to find something positive to focus on when things get rough. I had to build great inner strength when I left my birth home and went to find my way in the world. It sure helped when I had kids - I became mother bear and we know they have no fear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My saving grace? It will the grace of God, through Jesus Christ. Other than that, I am lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan S:
    Thanks for checking me out from D.G.'s blog ... and for following. Mark Twain might save his saving grace was his sense of humor ... and stubborness! :-)

    D.G.:
    Susan coming over to check out my blog from yours is quite cool! Thanks for doing the review of THE BEAR WITH TWO SHADOWS. Hibbs sends another enchantment your way!

    I pray each day to keep a childlike sense of wonder and surprise about life.

    I thank The Father each night before I sleep for each positive thing that happened that day. Like you say, focusing on the positive is healing.

    Susan K:
    The Father's spirit is always an abiding presence with me. I was thinking a habit of mind that comes in handy when the storm shudders us. :-) Thanks for visiting and talking awhile. I've missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, thanks for the shout out! As for grace in the dark, I think it depends how dark it is. Honestly, some things wig me out, and others I can handle, at least to a degree. As long as I don't get stuck inside my head, it's ok.

    Very interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are all living on borrowed time and we are just visitors passing through one life time. A sence of humor is critical because reality is subjective :)

    ReplyDelete