FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, October 11, 2013

DENISE COVEY TO THE RESCUE! How to Write A Review


My Photo
http://laussieswritingblog.blogspot.com/2013/10/writing-bookreviews-10-tips.html

She answered the question often asked of me due to my contests:
HOW DO YOU WRITE A REVIEW?

Want this autographed picture?


Be the one drawn from the first 10 to write a review of
THE RIVAL --
STILL FREE TODAY TOO!

THE RIVAL
BOOK 3: Victor & Alice are in the French Quarter of 1834.
Voodoo. Demigods. Revenants.  What a first date!
Want an
autographed Henry Fonda photo from

THE GRAPES OF WRATH?




Just be the one drawn from the first 10 to write a review of

{Only 99 cents}



SO HOW DO YOU WRITE A REVIEW?

Let Denise Covey, TEACHER EXTRAORDINAIRE, tell you:

HOW TO REVIEW - Denise's 10 tips

        1. Make notes as you read.

   2. Be on the lookout for quotable quotes. These give readers an idea of the writer's style.

    3. Get your introduction right; be worthy of the book you're reviewing. Hook the reader.
    
     4. If you have any criticism, give a concrete example; don't generalise.

       5. Write about the book, not yourself.
         Don't show off at someone else's party by trying to prove your own writing prowess.

       6. Try to avoid: 'I think/In my opinion'. Readers know the whole review is your opinion.

       7. Compare when appropriate -- perhaps make connections between the book and current issues. Or measure against similar stories in the genre.

       8. Don't retell the story blow by blow.

       9. Never give away the ending.

      10. Reviewing requires respect.

Remember: THIS WHOLE WEEKEND YOU CAN GET FOR FREE:

Thank all of you for making this #6!

GHOST WRITERS IN THE SKY
LEARN TO WRITE BETTER AND LAUGH ALONG THE WAY


10 comments:

  1. I read that this morning on her site - very smart tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex:
    Yes, I asked her permission to quote them, giving a link to her site -- my way of sending more visitors to my friend. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dropped by Denise's blog and you're right, great tips for reviewing.

    Not everyone likes the same types of reviews. I don't want to read a critique, I want to know about the story. Others may enjoy the analysis of the writing. We have varied tastes.

    You always display such tempting prizes, Roland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D.G.:
    You're right: some readers want critiques and others just want to know if the story is good -- sort of like how different people want different things when they ask if a movie is any good. :-)

    I hope my prizes tempt folks into reviewing! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tweeting and downloading.

    Hugs and chocolate,
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roland .. Denise has some great advice - and these are succinct and appropriate for reviewing ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hilary:
    Denise is a wise woman, isn't she? Me? I'm otherwise. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Roland for linking to my post. Everyone has ideas of their own, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise:
    That's what makes horse races! I wanted to send my friends over to your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete