FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

AT LAST THE BOOK I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!




I was reading a female complaint on MOON CALLED, the first Mercy Thompson urban fantasy:

that there was precious little steamy content ... which was appreciated by this male.

A male complained about RIVER MARKED that it was nearly a third of the book before the action
started.

It brings to mind the conventional wisdom that MEN DO NOT READ BOOKS WRITTEN BY WOMEN.

What do you think of that, by the way?

A study of reading habits showed almost half of women are 'page turners' who finish a book
soon after starting it compared to only 26 per cent of men.

Men are also more likely to have shelves full of books that have never been opened.

If that woman next to you on the train or bus seems unusually engrossed in her e-reader, there may
be a good reason.

Electronic readers, and the reading privacy they provide, are fueling a boom in sales of sexy romance novels, or "romantica," as the genre is called in the book industry.

There is sex in romantica—a lot of it.

Yet unlike traditional erotica, romantica always includes what's known as "HEA"—
"happily ever after."

Men see a problem and want to see action taken to resolve it.  Women want to see empathy evoked.

But everyone is different in their tastes despite gender.

Which is why I, as a card-carrying/dues paying male, read Mercy Thompson. 

Who's she?

Mercedes is a Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington.

(Yes, it is a running joke she has to live with:
A Mercedes working on Volkswagens.)

Her Native American heritage has gifted her with the ability to take the form of a coyote at will.

She's surrounded by far more powerful supernatural beings, including werewolves, vampires and an assortment of fae.

Her world seems real.  She is surrounded by powerful entities, while she is fragile in comparison.

She survives by wit, courage, and endurance.

Throughout the first book, Mercy kicks tail. Adam, the love interest, tells Mercy that he values her for her independence.

  He isn't threatened by a strong woman, but finds that strength attractive.

Then he's the one kidnapped and drugged and helpless -
it's Mercy who rescues Prince Charming.

And after being rescued, he turns around and leads werewolves into battle -

he isn't any less awesome or less of a man for needing a woman's help once in a while.

There are three women in the pack besides Mercy. 

Auriele is the second's mate,

but it's emphasized several times that her air of authority doesn't come from him, but from her job

as a teacher controlling a classroom of teenagers. 

(If you've ever been a teacher, you can relate.) 

She draws strength from her occupation and her own experiences instead of someone else.

There's Honey, who's highly dominant in her own self -

Adam says that if she were a man,
she'd be second or third in the pack.

But she chose to mate with a submissive werewolf, sacrificing the status she desires and deserves,

so that she wouldn't have to live with someone who'd try to control her.

What do you think? 

Do you know men who read (besides writers).  Do men read less than women?

For a woman to read a book must it contain romance?

Do you read non-fiction? 

I strongly suggest trying out MOON-CALLED --

Only a Penny for a used paperback and $2.99 for eBook.

(the first in the Mercy Thompson series.  Her world is as if the Brothers Grimm were true:



fae, vampires, witches, and other supernatural horrors.)

8 comments:

  1. Drat you. I don't need any more books. My unread pile is a tower. And I have no resistence.
    I will track this one down. Later.
    I read non-fiction and fiction and romance is not an essential. Neither is sex.
    I have three brothers and two of them are occasional readers and the youngest is like me - a greedy reader. My partner reads. A little. And the friends who are omniverous readers are women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know only a few men who read regularly, but lots of women who always have a book going. Wish I knew more men readers.

    I'm glad you reviewed this book because some months ago when I was in a bookstore I came across a paranormal series that appealed to me but I didn't buy one of its books. Then I forgot the author's name. But I think this is the series! So I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never cared if the author was a man or woman. I guess that's a product of being blown away by Ursula Le Guin's EARTHSEA trilogy when I was a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubs reads faster than I do, and yes, he reads women writers. He reads historical fiction or European history, but neither of us read romance, or erotica. He reads a variety of genres. He may not be average in his reading habits.

    I'm like Sean, it's the book that counts not the author so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elephant's Child:
    I think you will like this series. Mercy gets into trouble because of her great heart -- which is troublesome due to her fragility in the supernatural world!

    Helena:
    I think this is one of the stronger series out there: Mercy thinks outside the box of prejudices -- and has a hard time not tweaking the noses of those whose shadows should not even be stepped on! :-)

    Sean:
    Same here but the authors were Anne MacCaffrey and Marion Zimmer Bradley!

    D.G.:
    I like to find a series I enjoy ... especially after it has a few books behind it .. that way I can read one right after another!

    Like you and Sean, it is the book that counts. I didn't like Charlaiane Harris' TRUE BLOOD series but I enjoyed her SHAKESPEARE series ... an abused woman slowly piecing the shards of her life together is forced by solving one murder mystery after another to become a more functional human being ... and allowing herself to be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Roland - not my normal type of read ... but you've made this sound fascinating .. certainly helped by the video.

    Books - all sorts, but not a lot of romance or if any erotica - I like factual books, history books ... I should be a man: lots of unopened books - which I might just start addressing this year and get my reading eyes on.

    I read male and female - I'm more interested in the subject .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this series and I so happy the new book is out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilary:
    I like history books as well: books on the Orient Express, the Opium Wars, or Kipling in India. Things I do not know of history. :-)

    I think you may like Mercy. She is feisty and caring.

    Southpaw!
    Finally I meet another fan of Mercy Thompson! Her books are fun, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete