FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Thursday, March 6, 2014

END OF DAYS REVIEW & THE LAND OF FANCY

SEX, VIOLENCE, EINSTEIN, & ELVES!

Shelley Freedman surprised me with a great review of END OF DAYS:

Was it the words themselves or the voice enacting them? This, the End of Days, made me sigh as I heard the last words of the novel.

I took my time with this story. I got to know the many characters. I sided with good over evil. I shared the downfalls and the triumphs.

Roland's words were so gracefully linked together; so well immersed in a fluid of old tales and the mind's eye of New Orleans today. I was there.

I listened to Francene's words and heard the voices all come alive. I smiled at the crugly voice of Maxine, the accents and distinguishing mannerisms for all the players, real, ghoul, other-worldly.

Roland has a unique way of drawing you into his world and Francene perfectly embraced his picture bringing it all to life. I look forward to finding out what happens next (or before ;o) ...

What an excellent way to start the day, right?  Thank you, Shelley!

Howard Pyle's THE TRAVELS OF THE SOUL
 
{This work is in the public domain in the United States because it was published (or registered with the U.S. Copyright Office) before January 1, 1923.}
 
The American illustrator and writer Howard Pyle was born on this day in 1853.
 
Those of you who have read THE LEGEND OF VICTOR STANDISH or listened to its audiobook know
 
 that Pyle is one of the artistic heroes of the young gypsy who often draws in his style.
 
Pyle was widely respected during his life and continues to be well regarded by illustrators and fine artists.
 
Vincent van Gogh, a contemporary artist working in France, wrote in a letter to his brother Theo that Pyle's work "... struck me dumb with admiration."
 
He is credited with creating the sytle of clothing for Pirates that have come to be associated with them and copied from Errol Flynn to Johnny Depp.
 
Pyle wrote The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, first published in 1883, an immediate classic, and never since out of print.
 
In its preface, Pyle wrote of the land of the imagination from which all authors draw their inspiration:
 
What is it? 'Tis the land of Fancy, and is of that pleasant kind that, when you tire of it—whisk!—you clap the leaves of this book together and 'tis gone, and you are ready for everyday life, with no harm done.

And now I lift the curtain that hangs between here and No-man's-land. Will you come with me, sweet Reader? I thank you. Give me your hand.

What is your inspiration? 
 
How would you describe the world of your novels?

 

R.I.P. MAUKIE THE VIRTUAL CAT
 
Maukie will die this March 28, 2014  :-(
 
His own land of fancy (Widgetbox) is saying good-bye to the Net on that date.
 
If you have liked playing with Maukie
in my sidebar,
 
Play with her while you can!
Sigh.
 
It seems I cannot keep even a cyber cat alive.
 
I have come to think of her as alive.
I am silly I know but I am depressed.
 

2 comments:

  1. What a great review on the audiobook and the story of End of Days. Shelley described the effect of your stories well!

    I love this: "And now I lift the curtain that hangs between here and No-man's-land. Will you come with me, sweet Reader? I thank you. Give me your hand."

    Poor Maukie, but all things virtual and real have an expiry date, unless you're an immortal.
    My last cat was black and white like that. The net gives and the net takes away. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. D.G.:
    I have lost too many cats recently. :-(

    Wasn't that a great review by Shelley?

    I have always loved Howard Pyle and his art.

    Thanks for being my constant friend, Roland

    ReplyDelete