FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Sunday, March 2, 2014

DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU THINK YOU KNOW?

I was frowning at the cover of the first Donovan Creed novel ...


when the
ghost of Mark Twain settled into the chair beside me.


"Son, you put a cover like that on your next book ...


and I will knock you so hard into next week that it will take a team of surgeons to extract Thursday from your posterior."


He winked, "Of course I will have to read the book through.  Twice."


His eyebrows rose up and down devilishly.  "Just out of scientific curiosity and all, don't you know?"


He chewed on his cigar.  "I'm depressed."


"So naturally you thought of me," I sighed.


"Of course!" he cackled. "Old Tom got me depressed."


 
"So you thought you would share?  Ah, Tom who?"


"Why Tom Paine, son!  He died in New York city on this day in 1809. As reviled in America for his anti-Christian views as he was in England for his anti-monarchism, Paine had no tombstone to engrave. "


Mark threw his cigar down.  "Christians!  Why I think we might have crucified the only one!"


"For 2000 years there have always been Pharisees, sir."


He smiled crooked, "That's why I like you, son.  You're a heathen and don't know it."


"I'm Lakota. It comes with the territory. But why are you mad at Chrisitans this time?"



Mark sighed, "With no church willing to accept his body, he was buried on his New Rochelle farm (the farm a gift for his services to the War of Indpendence.)"


Mark hung his head.
 
"But then that blamed English agrarian radical William Cobbett had Paine’s remains transported back to England in 1819,

intending to give him a proper hero’s burial, but the disinterred bones were still unburied at the time of Cobbett’s death twenty years later, and then were lost."


I said, "So that's why Mr. Paine is depressed?"


Mark looked up sharply.  "Of course not, son!  You living sure have odd thoughts about we dead care about."

Mark sighed, "He's depressed about Elmore Leonard."


"Ah, you lost me, sir."


"Not that hard to do," he laughed.  "Old Elmore's become an author that everyone praises but nobody reads.  Like Old Tom."


The light faded in his eyes. "Like me."


"I read you, sir."


"Well, you ain't normal."


"I'm an author.  Goes with the territory."


He cackled, the light back in his eyes.  "You're mean.  I like that."


I took down his INNOCENTS ABROAD from the shelf to my left.  "Today also marks the day you took off on this European/Mid-East tour."


"So?" Mark asked glumly.


"So as long as there is appreciation for great literature, this passage alone will earn you still being read."


I flipped to the pages when he, become the little boy from Hannibal again, looks up into the fabled face of the Sphinx and read:


"After years of waiting, it was before me at last. The great face was so sad, so earnest, so longing, so patient….


It was gazing out over the ocean of Time —


over lines of century-waves which, further and further receding, closed nearer and nearer together, and blended at last into one unbroken tide,


away toward the horizon of remote antiquity.


It was thinking of the wars of departed ages; of the empires it had seen created and destroyed;


of the nations whose birth it had witnessed, whose progress it had watched, whose annihilation it had noted;

of the joy and sorrow, the life and death, the grandeur and decay, of five thousand slow revolving years….


And there is that in the overshadowing majesty of this eternal figure of stone, with its accusing memory of the deeds of all ages,


which reveals to one something of what he shall feel when he shall stand at last in the awful presence of God."


Mark Twain put his ghostly hand on my shoulder. "This is why I call you friend."

"I thought it was because I always keep on hand a box of your favorite cigars."

He winked, "That, too."

The Legend of Victor Standish
Hear the voice of Victor Standish!
Buy his book for $1.99 and get the audiobook for THE SAME PRICE!  (a $23 SAVINGS!)

10 comments:

  1. I have Volume 1 of Mark Twain's autobiography (a hefty tome) but suspect that you may do him at least as much justice as he does himself.
    And about the only thing I am certain I know is that there is soooo much more to learn. About everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elephant's Child:
    Isn't that book huge? I am tempted to get the Kindle of the 2nd volume.

    I like to think his ghost does get a kick out of how I portray him.

    To know there is a vast ocean of things to learn is the beginning of wisdom, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see the Sphinx either in a Cairo museum or in it's natural setting. When we stand before an object of Antiquity, we see a part of how our history has been written.

    Samuel Clemens was a smart man. He certainly likes you, Roland. Perhaps it's a reversal of the roles of McCord and Clemens? Just musing. Hope your stitches and you are healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. D.G.:
    Like Samuel Clemens, I have always harbored the wish to see the Sphinx in person. I wonder what Napoleon thought when he peered up at it?

    I think you may be right about Sam and me! :-) My temple is doing well -- my nose not so much. But time will tell.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I suspect Napoleon thought, hmmm, I'd like me a big monument like that. No seriously, he would think like any of us, 'is it looking at its past, or at what its splendor has become. . .

    Just don't scratch that nose, healing always makes things itchy as it mends.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I will knock you so hard into next week that it will take a team of surgeons to extract Thursday from your posterior."

    So witty, Roland! And I agree!

    ReplyDelete
  7. D.G.:
    His Napoleonic Code in Louisiana Law is still existing in parts today -- so that is his monument in America at least.

    Yes, my nose is itchy!!

    Wendy:
    That phrase is all Mark Twain! :-) I loved having him in GHOST OF A CHANCE and in DEATH IN THE HOUSE OF LIFE!

    GHOST OF A CHANCE soon comes to audiobook, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ref: Not normal

    You're right, Roland. I don't think I've met an author yet that fit the term of normalcy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Angela:
    But me and the ghost of Mark Twain are proud of it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn, but I do love Mark Twain. And I sure as heck still read his books.

    So sad about Thomas Paine -- I had no idea he was scorned in his final years by the Americans he championed.

    ReplyDelete