FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, October 31, 2014

TELL MAMA wep entry



Denise Covey has the prompt GHOST STORY.  I already posted my entry:

But I couldn't resist another:


TELL MAMA

"May it be when darkness falls,
Your heart will be true."
-Enya

Darkness falls in all manner of ways. Disaster. Death. . 

They play no favorites. Is any shoulder strong enough when the clouds cry?

I blend historic fact in with supernatural shivers, focusing on a battered man trying hard not to buckle under the darkness in FRENCH QUARTER NOCTURNE.

{Samuel McCord is heading to the Covention Center to help threatened women and children}

As I made my way down the flooded street towards the Convention Center, I looked up at the full moon. 

It seemed closer than civilization or any semblance of rescue. If there was to be any help for those suffering at the center, it would have to come from me.

As I waded along into the night, the black mists curled and creamed in the humid darkness like an unspoken fear trying to form itself on the edge of consciousness. 

A trick of the thick air, the moon of blood leered down upon its reflection on the dark waters of the flooded street.

Ripples of its long bloody image flowed from the floating dead body of a cat, looking like fingers caressing its kill. 

The cat’s death apparently hadn't been pretty nor was its corpse. The night became colder than it should have been. Much, much colder.

Rind, the Angelus of Death whose blood had mingled with mine ,whispered in words only I could hear. “At night the dead come back to drink from the living.”

I didn’t need Rind to tell me that the night was not my friend. Too much death had happened too recently. 

Spirits, lost and angry, were walking beside me. Torn clothing. Hollow eyes of shadows. Sharp, white teeth. Long, writhing fingers slowly closing and unclosing.

Because of Rind's blood in my veins, I could see them slowly circling, hear their trailing, splashing steps behind me, feel the heat of their sunken, hungry eyes upon my back.

Were they soul-echoes, mere refracted memory of a will? Or were there such things as literal ghosts? Just because I could see them didn't mean that I understood what they were.

I turned the corner and came upon the startled, fragile grace of a too-white egret standing alert in the middle of the flooded street, staring back at me. Its long sleek neck slowly cocked its sloping head at me. 

Then, gathering its huge wings, it launched itself into the air with its long black legs. I saw the spirits of the dead around me longingly stare after its curved flight of grace and freedom into the dark sky. I watched with them.

I felt a tug on my left jacket sleeve. I looked down. My chest grew cold. The dead face of a little girl was looking up at me. 

Or rather the face of her lost, wandering spirit, her full black eyes glistening like twin pools of oil. 

Her face was a wrenching mix of fear and longing. She tried to speak. Nothing came out of her moving lips. 

Looking like she was on the verge of tears, she tugged on my sleeve again and pointed to the end of the block. I followed her broken-nailed finger. I shivered.

She was pointing to her own corpse.

I took in a ragged breath I didn’t need to compose myself. The Convention Center would have to wait. I had sworn a long time ago that no child would ever ask my help without getting it.

A haunted singing was faint on the breeze. Somewhere the dead had found their voices. 

I nodded to the girl’s spirit and waded to her corpse, the force of the rushing flood waters having washed it up onto the sidewalk and against a store front where it slowly bobbed in place. 

I saw the girl’s spirit out of the corner of my eye, studying the shell of flesh she had once worn.

Her head was turned slightly to one side. The expression to her face was sorrowful and wistful at the same time. She pointed again.

I followed the misty finger. A rosary all wrapped up in the balled fingers of her left hand. 

She gestured sharply, then looked at me with eyes echoing things I did not want to see. 

I nodded again and kneeled down beside the girl’s swollen corpse. I pried the rosary loose, wrapping it around the fingers of my own gloved left hand.

I looked up at the girl’s spirit. She just stood there frowning as if in concentration. Her brow furrowed, and her jaws clenched. I could swear beads of sweat appeared on her ghostly forehead.

I jerked as suddenly guttural words were forced from the long-dead throat of the corpse at my boots. “T-Tell M-Mama ... peaceful now.”

And with that, she looked up into the night. I followed her eyes. She was looking at the retreating body of the egret slowly flying into a filmy, billowing cloud. I looked back to her spirit.

She was gone.

“I promise,” I said to the empty night.



5 comments:

  1. Well, that was a tug on any mother's heart, Roland. FQN is sitting on my PC, and one day I will finish it.

    Hope it's a happy Halloween and not a haunted one, but then you do hang around Meilori's. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. D.G.:
    No hurry. Sam is patient. But the ghosts in Meilori's are another matter all together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally creepy, one of my favorite excerpts from the novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna:
    Thanks. It is also one of my favorite excerpts from that novel. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roland .. I could certainly see the story unfold, needing someone to reach out and help the little wraith be free to enter the realms beyond - and I love the Enya sky ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete