FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

WHAT WOULD THE PEOPLE OF THE WORLD BE WITHOUT WOMEN?


What would the people of the world be without women?  

They would be scarce, folks, almighty scarce. 
- Mark Twain

Ghost of Mark Twain here.

On this International Day of Women, I am moved to speak ...

Human intelligence cannot estimate what we owe to Woman. 

She sews our buttons, mends our clothes, ropes us in at the church fairs --

 She confides in us; she tells us whatever she can find out about the little private affairs of the neighbors -- 

she gives us good advice, and plenty of it -- she gives us a piece of her mind, and sometimes all of it.

She soothes our aching brows -- she bears our children . 

 In all the relations of life, folks, it is but just, and a graceful tribute to woman to say of her that she is a jewel. 

I know that since the ladies started out on their crusades, they have scored in every project they undertook against unjust laws. 

I would like to see them help make the laws and become those who are enforce them. 

I would like to see the whiplash in women's hands. 

Lord knows that the men have certainly mucked up things for quite long enough.

Now, some of these gals nowadays do give me pause.  

Why I never thought I would see places sunburned on them in public

that I only dreamed about when alive!

Riverboat pilot, Western correspondent, silver prospector, and world traveler, 

I must seem the quintessential man's man. 

But to that I say NO!  (Contrary soul that I am).

I was a writer who intentionally surrounded myself with women, 

a writer whose capacity to produce fiction had almost as much to do 

with the environment shaped by my female family and associates as with my own talent and genius.

What?  You expected humility from me!? 


10 comments:

  1. Power to the Women, they could use it to better purpose! As Trump has distanced himself as a pro-lifer - why am I not surprised, Trudeau has shown himself to be a feminine supporter. Canada will be trying to boost women's health issues worldwide since the big T. dropped the ball for the USA. Women, like children have suffered at the hands of male policies. Bravo Twain and Roland for recognizing this important DAY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I distrust all politicians these days. :-( The powerless whether in age, gender, or race have always suffered at the hands of those in power.

      Happier times ahead for you, D. H. :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for this, Roland--and Samuel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you, J.H., for visiting and commenting on my last 3 posts! The ghost of Mark Twain tips his Bowler hat to you. :-)

      Delete
  3. Hi Roland - I hope International Women's Day caused some food for thought in the States ... we certainly don't deserve to be the underdogs ... and thanks for posting for us ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only some men re-thought their views on women, it was a good day, right?

      Delete
  4. Women are definitely underrated and largely unappreciated in this world, sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some things are better with two...
    It's not good that man be alone - so God made woman. Not from his head, so she'd be above him; not from his feet, so she'd be trodden by him; but from his ribs, so she would be his partner and equal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. The Yin and Yang of both sexes working together makes for complete lives. :-)

      Delete