FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Z is for ZOUNDS!

ZOUNDS!

circa 1600, oath of surprise or anger,  
contraction from God's wounds!


 "Under certain circumstances, 
profanity provides a relief 
denied even to prayer."
 - Mark Twain


I have Elu, the Apache shaman,
teach both McCord
and his son,
Victor Standish

that profanity shrivels
your quiver of words

and what does that
hobbles your mind.

What hobbles your mind,
limits your thinking.

And your wits are all
that stand between 
you and the world.

 
It seems that "F--k" has become the duct tape of modern dialogue.

Without it, Samuel L. Jackson would be almost mute in most of his non-MCU films!

 That fact is even satirized in the comedy, The Hitman's Bodyguard.


Do you use profanity in your books?  

Does it bother you when you 
read it in other books?

Does it add the illusion of reality 
to novels, do you think?

6 comments:

  1. Outside of the word damn, I don't it in my writing. Simple people rely only on profanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try for unique profanity. Victor uses sfumato. It sounds like what he wants to say but Elu will not let him.

      It means “like smoke,” smufato consists of applying dark glazes in place of blunt colors to add a depth that could not be achieved otherwise ... much like Victor's own life.

      He also uses "Go climb your thumb!" It sounds bad but is really a nonsense phrase. :-)

      Ingrid Durtz of my current Dark Hollywood series says, "Skit!" It is Swedish for shit.

      McCord uses"Merde" which means Skit. :-)

      The reader knows what is meant in all the above cases, but it sounds less crude, right? :-)

      Delete
  2. I don't use it and I don't allow strong language in DLP books either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. No, I don't use profanity in my writing, though for some characters it is part of who they are and I'll find some way to substitute it for more sensitive readers.
    Congrats on finishing the A-Z!

    Ronel visiting with the A-Z Challenge music and writing: Zigging and Zagging

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roland - congratulations on finishing ... while Zounds and the content you've given us makes sense. I don't like reading that sort of thing - there's too much around. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete