FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, February 5, 2020

WHY WRITE A SERIES? IWSG post



A series provides a built-in audience 
for your next book, of course.

You have time to flesh out your
secondary characters
so that readers love to tune in
to see what happens next 
in their lives. 
 


Every good book has well-developed characters, an engrossing plot, and a healthy dose of conflict,

but a good book series demands all of that and so much more. 

A series makes a promise: 

it promises that readers will enjoy a richer, more evolved experience as it progresses.


 When readers commit to reading a series, they do it for one main reason: 

because they care about the characters. 

The reader must want to follow the characters on their journey, 

getting to know them like real-life friends and family, 

and becoming invested in the outcomes of their conflicts and endeavors.



Alongside solid plot development, 

a series must focus on constant character development in order for it to hold any hope of sustaining itself. 

Your characters must undergo significant changes throughout the story. 

They should not be the same people at the series' conclusion as they were at its commencement.

Hollywood and Horror 

The two seem to be made for each other ... 

add in WWII, madness, and the exotic locale of post-war New Orleans ...

and now you have something.


Love, Ambition, Loss, Conflicting Ego's

Each character drawn in 
by these things are changed by them. 


None remain the same.



What remains amidst 
the smoking ruins 
come Dawn?


That is something upon which
the survivors reflect
in the shadows 
of their thoughts.

14 comments:

  1. So true, Roland. These are great insights. I agree 100%.

    By the way, I was praising your ability to get into the minds of historical figures in my last creative writing class. You may have landed some new readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am without words ... and for a writer to say that is something! Thank you so much for liking something about my novels so much you mentioned it in your creative writing class. Highest sales for you in your books!

      Delete
  2. Boy did my main character ever grow and change in my series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it isn't a murder mysteries series, I tend to wait until they are complete. Because once I start I don't want to wait for the next book. I'm picky that way. hehehe

    Anna from elements of emaginette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is why a smart author sets up a small puzzle in each book and solves it at the end by pointing to a larger one. :-)

      Delete
  4. I always try to write a stand alone book for my series. I hate books that leave the answer to the mystery waiting until the next book. Bad idea, and it leaves the reader cold. I usually don't buy the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, Yolanda, I always wrap up the major mystery in my book, while still teasing that there is more to the adventure out there. :-)

      Delete
  5. Write a good series because series sell better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Diane. The reader becomes closer to each character, wanting to know more about what makes then tick. :-)

      Delete
  6. You've given me a lot to think about, Roland! You've certainly made it work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Roland, then you'll be pleased to know I'm writing a vampire series. So far, up to book four. Getting ready to self-publish book one, then will have the others ready for a rapid launch. What fun. All what you say is true. The best thing I've done is wait, so I can go back and write in things I've discovered as I write the later books. Wish me well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do wish you well. John D. McDonald's first 3 Travis McGee novels were published monthly to quickly build an audience. It worked for him. Crossing my fingers for you. :-)

      Delete