FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

WHAT WILL BE YOUR SWAN SONG? IWSG Post

 


Alex Cavanaugh has said the above book will be his Swan Song.

As Dua Lipa wrote:

"This is not a Swan Song
but a Swan Dive.
It's a New Life."



I hope not. 
His blog presence has been a light to me in dark times.

 

What is a Swan Song anyway?

A swan song is the final performance of an actor, singer, composer, poet, or the like.
 
According to folklore, swans sing most beautifully before they die, 

and hence this phrase came to be used 
to describe someone who was leaving in style.


Leonardo da Vinci's Fable:

THE SWAN

The swan arched his supple neck towards the water and gazed at his reflection for a long time.


He understood the reason for his weariness 

and for the cold that gripped his body, making him tremble as though it were winter.

 With absolute certainty, he knew that his hour had come and that he must prepare for death.

His feathers 
were still as white as they had been on the first day of his life. Seasons and years had passed without a blemish appearing on his snowy plumage. 

He could go now, and his life would end in beauty.

Straightening his beautiful neck, he swam slowly and majestically beneath a willow, 

where he had been accustomed to rest in the hot weather.

It was already evening, and the sunset was touching the water of the lake with crimson and violet.

And in the great silence that was falling all around, the swan began to sing.

Never before had he found notes so full of love for all of nature, for the beauty of the heavens, the water and the earth.

His sweet song 
rang through the air, scarcely tinged with melancholy, until, softly, softly, it faded with the last traces of light on the horizon.

"It is the swan," said the fishes, the birds, and all of the beasts of the woodland and meadow.

Touched to the heart, they said:

"The swan is dying."



Each of us will have our own Swan Song.

Some of us will choose the time.

Often that time will be chosen for us.


What sunset will be our last to see?

What bird in flight will be the last to thrill us?


What book, short story, sentence
will unknowingly be our last?


Found on the poet’s desk after his death, 

“Finale” is Pablo Neruda’s final poem, and a love letter to his wife, Matilde. 

“It was beautiful to live/when you lived!”




Be sure to buy Alex's new book.

I've already bought mine.


And be sure to craft each new book of yours with care.

It could be your own Swan Song.

"I love you as certain dark things are loved, secretly, between the shadow and the soul." 

- Pablo Neruda



15 comments:

  1. My first response is lost in the ether. So forgive an identical comment. I did not know Alex was giving up writing. He certainly has been an encouragement for the wannabees and the published writers.

    I've never known the backstory to a swan song. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was what Alex wrote in his last post: This will be my swan song, returning full circle to the Cassa universe, and a fitting end to a career I never saw coming.

      I hope Alex keeps his blog going. He has been there for me when life got ... interesting. All my efforts for too few sales has gotten me thinking about riding off into the sunset.

      I'm glad you liked getting to know more about Swan Songs, Ann. Thanks for visiting and commenting ... even when it took double duty to do it! :-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for mentioning my book!
    Won't be the end to my blog presence, but if I take another seven years for a book release, then it's too long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully not his swan song, but if so, let it go out with a bang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His words not mine. But his comment here seemed to hold out hope for him to return to writing in the future, :-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful poem. I wasn't sure if that was what Alex meant. Didn't want to jump the gun. I just don't know. The phrase never say never comes to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe he wrote that about this book being his swan song and thought better of it or at least decided to reflect. :-)

      Delete
  5. The swan made me think of how beautiful it would be if one could die in nature instead of some hospital bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have that same thought, Inger. Under a shade tree with a flash of hemlock to sip as watch the sun set. :-)

      Delete
  6. Thought provoking stuff. Given we never know what's around the corner, maybe we should treat each piece of work as if it's our swan song.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Over the past few years, I've had many thoughts about "The Last Things" in life. Beautiful post, Roland.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This had me in tears, Roland! It's a lovely post, especially Leonardo da Vinci's poem (which I don't recall reading before). With all that has happened recently, especially in the last year, I've been thinking about the ends of things. Now, instead of focusing on all I haven't done yet, I'm focusing on gratitude for what I have done. I hope to keep exploring and growing for a long time to come, but if something unexpected happens, so be it. It's all good. I know you have been through truly difficult times, but you've come through it so far. You are an inspiration, and I hope you keep on keeping on. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew the background of where the phrase "swan song" came from. I love learning new things. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete