FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

GONE WITH THE WIND_ You Only Think You Know This Film_ WEP Post

 
Controversy stormed about this film long before HBOMax removed it from its inventory.

The fact that Hattie McDaniel would be unable to attend the premiere in racially segregated Atlanta outraged Clark Gable so much

that he threatened to boycott the premiere unless she could attend. He later relented when she convinced him to go.

The Los Angeles Sentinel called for a boycott of “every other Selznick picture, present and future.”

Under that pressure, Selznick agreed to the N.A.A.C.P.’s suggestion of hiring a technical adviser “to watch the entire treatment of the Negroes.”

In fact, he hired two — both of them white.

Hattie McDaniel became the first black person to be nominated for - and win - an Academy Award.

Hattie McDaniel was criticized by some African-Americans for playing in a supposedly racist film.

She responded that she would "rather make seven hundred dollars a week playing a maid than seven dollars being one".

STRANGE FACTS:

Vivien Leigh later said that she hated kissing Clark Gable because of his bad breath, rumored to be caused by his false teeth, a result of excessive smoking.

According to Frank Buckingham, a technician who observed the film being made, Gable would sometimes eat garlic before his kissing scenes with Vivien Leigh!

Vivien Leigh worked for 125 days and received about $25,000. Clark Gable worked for 71 days and received over $120,000.

Because of those ”garlic” kissing scenes alone she should have been paid $100,000!

Max Steiner was given only three months to compose the music, considering that 1939 was the busiest year of his career!

 In that year he wrote the music for 12 films.

In order to meet deadline, Steiner sometimes worked for 20 hours straight and took Benzedrine pills to stay awake.

(Selznick insisted that the director and actors of his THIRD MAN do the same to make the film’s hectic schedule.)

With almost three hours of music, "Gone with the Wind" had the longest film score ever composed up to that time.

The character of Ashley Wilkes was based on Margaret Mitchell's cousin by marriage John "Doc" Holliday.

Melanie was based on Mitchell's third cousin, and Doc's first cousin and close friend, Mattie "Sister Melanie" Holliday.

Doc moved West and became the gambler and gunfighter of "Gunfight at the OK Corral" fame.

Mattie joined a convent and became a nun, but maintained a correspondence with Doc, who died of tuberculosis in 1887, 13 years before Margaret Mitchell was born.

AND HERE YOU THOUGHT YOU KNEW ALL ABOUT GONE WITH THE WIND!

(Amazing the things I’ve learned while doing research for my DARK HOLLYWOOD series.)

 

24 comments:

  1. Wow! I definitely didn't know any of that - but I've never seen the film either. Racism and prejudice are insidious and while things are changing, it seems to be very, very slow. Humans have to be better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have to be. But sadly many in power will not even consider it. :-(

      Delete
  2. Hey Roland! Great to have an entry from you again. Hope to see more of you this year!

    Thanks for the research on GWTW. If you get to read my piece you'll see we've both been hitting the same sites. Sure, GWTW highlights slavery, but isn't the world basically enslaved? Sadly. As Jemi says, we must do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To judge a movie from another era by our standards is unfair ... yet people do it all the time. :-(

      Delete
  3. What a fascinating collection of facts about this movie. I didn't know any of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga, I thought you and other of my cyber-friends would enjoy some of these facts. Ugh!! Those garlic kisses!!!

      Delete
  4. That's interesting, Roland. I think Hollywood has come a long way in their pay scale of female actors.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Roland - I knew none of those facts ... I guess I could have guessed the garlic kiss - but didn't know. I regret I've never read the book, nor seen the film ... life is still unfair for many. With thoughts - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the film when very young. Life is indeed unfair.

      Delete
  6. Great to have an entry from you! And hope to see more from you for the upcoming challenges.

    Interesting collection of facts about the film, knew some not all, didn't know about garlic breath, yuk. :)

    I am a fan of both book and film, Mitchell was a great storyteller and Selznick a great film maker. We shouldn't judge things out of context. And I don't think it is the job of fiction writers to educate me on history and its lessons, as a reader it is my responsibility to fact check and form my own conclusions. We can't put conditions on fiction writers/film makers and then go around calling ourselves a free society championing freedom of expression.

    Slavery, racism, abuse, misogyny and mob justice are wrong, no two ways about it. But they go on all the same in many parts of the world, nearly ninety years after GWTW was written. That's what needs addressing rather than a ban on viewing/reading a particular book or film totally out of context, imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nilanjana,, my massive heart attack took me out of the running for awhile, but I am back. As a former teacher, I like to make the past live again through little known facts. :-)

      Delete
  7. Wow, Roland! Thank you for sharing these trivia. I enjoyed reading your entry, in fact I went back to read it again. Come to think of it, the film was criticized for obvious reasons but it was actually seeped in discrimination. The big disparity in pay cheques being one, an important actor unable to attend the premier being another. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Sonia, Hollywood is a mirror of its time, And times have always been dark in one or another.:-(

      Delete
  8. Inequality and egoism permeats history. Thanks for bringing the issues to light. While I don't condone the bad choices of the past, I dont' like todays morals blacklisting books of the past. How can we now expect the past to have our values? Gone With The Wind was an excellent period piece, depicting life as it was, not as it is today. And it had awesome messages for equality, if you just look beyone the romance. Thanks for highlighting these issues Roland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many interesting details. You could fill a book with them. :) Nice to see you writing with the WEP again, sorry about the HA. I know how awful that is. I hope your rehab is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm back to work and hating Mardi Gras, its parades blocking me from bringing needed blood to hospitals!

      Delete
  10. Delightful additions to what we 'thought' we knew about this classic film. Not surprisingly, the responses to WEP's prompts took us all in many unexpected directions. Thank you for the factoids, especially since I do love garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved learning more about the film and the people who made it what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I knew all about this film, Sally, until I did my research for my Dark Hollywood series! :-)

      Delete