FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, September 14, 2015

CRAFT YOUR WORDS ALIVE NOT STILL-BORN


{Photo Credit: UCLA Special Collections}

I pried open my sleepy eyes:

the ghost of Raymond Chandler was stroking a slightly freaked Midnight.

Whether it was because my cat was being petted by a ghost or being called Tiki by him I didn't know but could guess.

Chandler was talking softly to Midnight:

"Did you know, Tiki, that Lake Charles is an old town, a lost town. 

Once, very long ago, it was the choice residential district of the state, 

and there are still standing a few of the jigsaw Gothic mansions with wide porches

 and walls covered with round-end shingles and full corner bay windows with spindle turrets. 

They are all rooming houses now.  

On the wide cool front porches, stretching their cracked shoes into the sun, and staring at nothing, 

sit the old men with faces like lost battles.


Out of the apartment houses come women who should be young but have faces like stale beer; 

men with quick eyes that look the street over behind the cupped hand that shields the match flame;

street punks with cigarette coughs and no money in the bank;

patrol cops with granite faces and unwavering eyes; 

cookies and coke peddlers; 

people who look like nothing in particular and know it, and once in a while even men that actually go to work.

 But they come out early, when the wide cracked sidewalks are empty and still have dew on them" 

To which Midnight replied, "Yowl!"  Which is cat for: 

"If I promised to miss you, would you go away?"

Chandler looked up, seeing me awake, and dropped a relieved Midnight onto the carpet.  

"Ah, you're up.  I wanted to talk to you of dialogue."

He carefully packed his pipe.  “Writing good dialogue is art as well as craft."

Chandler thumbed a ghost match to life.  

" As craft, dialogue serves several functions in any scene. It plunges us into the moment. It reveals character. It moves the plot forward. 

As art, good dialogue has as much to do with the sound of music as the meaning of words."

 

          He tipped the flaring match into the pipe bowl.   "But good dialogue isn’t simply putting words in your characters’ mouths and then adding “he said” or “she said”. 

 Nor is it having characters conveniently dump background information into the story—with quote marks around the words. 

 And what’s considered good dialogue today is a far cry from what even the most beloved writers of other eras produced. 

 Readers in our hurried, distracted times will not sit through long, involved speeches, for example, 

and their inner ear will recognize “believable dialogue” even if they haven’t a clue what it is. 


BELIEVABLE DIALOGUE


The first thing to remember is that good dialogue is all illusion.

By understanding how real speech works

—with its half-spoken phrases, false starts, interruptions, and misdirection--

you can begin to play dialogue like an instrument. 

Sometimes your characters may speak without listening, with interesting possibilities for plot. 

 Let your dialogue reveal character and advance the plot.


"SPEECH IS WHAT CHARACTERS DO TO ONE ANOTHER," CHANDLER SAID.

  
Dialogue is action. Not just any action, but conflict

Pick up a good novel or story at random and flip through to some dialogue. 

You'll see immediately that it’s argumentative in some way. 

Even when you don't really know the story or the scene, the dialogue will pull you in because it's combative.


"THE BEST DIALOGUE KEEPS THE BIGGEST BRUISES HIDDEN, HE SAID.


A person may say one thing, but the way she holds her body says the opposite.  

Real people are walking contradictions seeking to fool everyone and in the end only fooling themselves.

Your dialogue contrasted with your description should embody that.

"All my life I lived on the edge of nothing.  Now, as a ghost, I live on its knife's edge.

No matter what genre people read, all they really care about is the creation of emotion through dialogue and description."

He bent down to stroke Midnight.  
 
"Plausibility is largely a matter of style. 

It takes an awful lot of technique to compensate for a dull style, 

although it has been done, especially in Presidential Debates."


 "NEVER FORGET THAT THE WORLD IS SIMULTANEOUSLY A HORRIBLE AND A BEAUTIFUL PLACE," 

CHANDLER SAID, FADING AWAY AS THE SOUNDS OF HIS WORDS JOINED HIM.
 I hope Raymond Chandler helped you a bit, for that would make up for my and Midnight's lost sleep.

8 comments:

  1. Conflict is what moves a story, so it should be in the dialogue as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And there is the voyeur in all of us that is intrigued with how a conflict is going to turn out, right? :-)

      Delete
  2. Lots of good thoughts here. For me when writing dialogue I must say it out loud. This is odd if there are others around me. I love to listen to the conversations of people around me, too.

    I shouldn't have read this late in the evening when there is mention of ghosts. My late cat Chloe always looked above my head especially when I was upset and/or crying. I felt like she was looking at my guardian angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My new kitten, Midnight, often looks up above me, too, when I am petting him and then back to me as if to say: "You don't see any of this weird stuff, do you?"

      Maybe Cloe was, indeed, seeing a Heavenly spirit hovering over you while in pain.

      Greater is He who is within us than he who is in the world, right?

      I speak my dialogue aloud too. But I do it in the shower where only the soap suds and Midnight outside the curtains think me strange!!

      Delete
  3. I love some of the similes and descriptions here! And this is so true about dialogue. I often think of Gone With the Wind and the scene in which Rhett and Scarlett (a new widow in black) are dancing and talking, just as in the movie. But in the book there is no he said/she said, just the dialogue for a couple of pages, but it's so attuned to each character and so sharp you know who is saying what, because Rhett and Scarlet are so different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked that scene for that as well. With audio books popular too many "he said, she said" just irritates the listener.

      A good writer makes his dialogue so distinct to each character that the reader can be read a line at random from the book and know who is talking.

      I love Chandler's descriptions of people so that you can picture them in your mind easily. Have a great day.

      Delete
  4. I am currently writing dialogue in another language. I won't go into details since it is my current WiP, but let's use an analogy and say it is French.

    But my book is written in English.

    How do I portray not just the lilt of French, but the spirit of French, in English words?

    So I sprinkled in some French words. I used some of the French-type descriptions for things. I employed French expletives and generalizations. I'm not sure how well it will take, but my intent is to immerse the reader in the dialogue such that they ~feel~ as if they are listening to French, but with an English subtitle translation.

    So you are right when you say dialogue is at the heart of the story. Get it right, and nobody notices. But get it wrong and you earn a good book-tossing across the room (or get deleted from their reader library).

    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had similar problems when I wrote Marlene Dietrich's dialogue in two of my novels. And I used similar solutions as yours when I did it.

      The German language can often be literal-minded so that when someone speaks of brain-washing, they say washing of the brain.

      I would do terrible trying to speak German as Spanish is my only other language. Good seeing you here. :-)

      Delete