FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Sunday, September 20, 2015

THE NIGHT IS DARK, AND I AM SMALL



Grim days ...  we've all had them.  You might be going through one right now.
Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day.”
A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”
Maya Angelou

“Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow.”
Mary Anne Radmacher

Sandra, my best friend, who is fighting cancer, recently told me,

"Some storms never leave.  You have to learn to dance in the rain."

IT IS NOT HOW WE SEE THE STORM BUT HOW WE SEE OURSELVES


1.) Realize that you are an amazing creation
    
Your immune system is intricate and amazing.
    Your mind contains the potential to create by-passes to re-route your thinking past damaged areas.
     During Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, I saw simple people rally and become heroes.  You can, too.

2.) Still feel down?
    
Get your endorphins going and your body moving by taking a brisk walk or lifting some weights (even soup cans or water bottles).  Expensive equipment is not necessary.

3.) Still down?

 Go to your city's homeless shelter or Salvation Army Food Center -- help out those who are hungry and hurting.  Getting involved with the hurts of others might make yours seem less urgent.

4.) Make your body work FOR you:

Dopamine is the fuel that keeps people motivated to persevere and achieve a goal.

You have the power to increase your production of dopamine by changing your attitude and behavior.

 Scientists have identified higher levels of dopamine -- also known as the "reward molecule" --
as being linked to forming lifelong habits, such as perseverance.
    
A.) Feel Fat?
     
B.) Take the emphasis off talk of "obesity"

 C.) Shift it to empowering  yoursef to want be healthy because you learn to love the feelings and consequences of being physically active and eating better.

The biggest pay-off isn't simply the shedding of pounds or lowering BMI

it is the broad spectrum of improvements that activity and health brings to your personal and academic lives.

5.) FIXING THE BLAME DOESN'T FIX THE PROBLEM:
     
A.) Stop caressing the problem
     
B.) See yourself walking away from the battle a winner.
    
C.) Brainstorm every way imaginable to solve the problem -- even ones that seem far-fetched.

6.) BREAK DOWN THE PROBLEM BEFORE YOU HAVE A BREAKDOWN:
    
 Most problems can be broken down into do-able units. 

 Clean up your basement one corner at a time.  

Change that tire one lug at a time.  Run that mile one step after another.

7.) THE CLOCK IS TICKING:
    
 I once saw an early black and white movie on the Titanic where all through the movie there was a clock in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down the minutes to that iceberg.
     
As I saw people bicker about such trivial things or ignore each other, wasting precious, fleeting moments --  I realized we all have that little clock ticking down.
    
 Let the small stuff slide.  Appreciate the beauty and the people around you while you have them.


8.) WALK YOUR INNER CHILD:


A walk often blows away the mental cobwebs and brightens the mood.


Try seeing your walk as you might have as a small child: sense the wonder of a falling leaf, the joy of a scampering squirrel, and the feel of a snowflake on your tongue.


9.) LAUGHTER MAY NOT BE THE BEST MEDICINE BUT ...


     The human mind/body relationship is odd. 


If you force a smile even when you are not happy,


the endorphins are still released in a small amount ... and you feel slightly better.


     But don't over-do it: folks might throw a net over you!
***
For my friend, Patricia Stoltey, here is a photo of my kitten, Midnight:


10 comments:

  1. Caressing a problem, wow, so many people do, don't they. As for me, the smile thing always works, even at the worst of times. I now know that sometimes you just have to cry, but when the dogs come and you don't want to upset them, you smile, and it works. I have told people this and I don't think they believe me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hercules, my last dog (who died in my house fire) was a German Shepherd/Norwegian Elkhound mix. Huge. At the time of my mother's dying, I would trudge home from the hospital after having worked all day -- trudged because someone had put sugar in my gas tank - and sit on the floor and hug the big guy. He stoically let me and he was my own personal teddy bear. I miss him still.

      Yes, forcing a smile can help lift your mood amazingly -- but dogs help even more. :-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I remember those years well Roland. Your love of Hercules allowed you to see the big hearted, loyal, lovng Sentient Being who gave you Love, as well as you Loved Hercules more than most persons I met in Kims German Shepherd handling days of Dog Shows, amongst hundred of dog handlers, but not all were Lovers of dogs, certainly not to the extent you enjoyed taking Hercules on a Sunday walk. You have truly loved Your Mother, a big inspiration in your life, and a great Mom, who ensured Her Son, was taken good care of.

      in Dog Shows; amongst other dog lovers, as well as in Her work in Lake Charles, to keep 12 GSD's and 2 Horses, and teach Obedience Training Courses. Kim earned more titles with only 4 dogs in So.Cal in 1996, more than any Kennel in LA County. Even up against big kennels with dozens of GSD's, who would bring 6-10 dogs to a show, while Kim utilized only 4, and still earned more titles that year. that one blew our mind. But so did taking our Gang to Lafayette, for a International Therapy Title. Kim took again, 4 dogs to the program, where only her dogs, earned International Therapy Titles, and Certifications. There were exactly 200 dogs in that show, and 196 dogs and handlers failed the testing. The Lady doing the testing had to drive from St. Lous, a Regional Tester.

      Kim went on to train those same 4 dogs to detect epileptic seizures in advance, when they smelled Kim or Kenneths chemical reactions leading to seizures, those dogs would come sit at my feet and bark very loudly, not to be denied.

      1 of our dogs was sent to Kern County, and she and Kern County Search and Rescue was seen on the daily news, when they went to China after a very large devastating earthquake.to be a Kadiver Dog, who could smell a kadiver under 50 feet of water.All our dogs were trained to sniff out drugs also, with my Deputy Brothers help. A story for another day, or email, one that occurred when we 1st arrived in Lk Charles, and were staying in the Holiday Inn in Sulphur for 45 days.

      Our 6 foot tall (when standing on his back feet with his paws on my shoulders, looking me right int he eyes. A pure black silky haired monster, with golden eyes, everyone thought was a pure wolf.

      LSU baseball players were in town to play McNeese. Half the team of LSU players, were drunk or stoned, as Kim was taking them out at night to do their duties, the LSU boys, said, can that K9 detect drugs, Kim said Yes, He can and so can the other 3. They dared our dog to find their marijuana amongst a parking lot of cars. He nailed the car, and Kim said now open the door, and that dog poked his nose right under the drivers seat where He found their stash. It was hilarious and sad.

      I am also praying for Sandra, I was unaware of your long time friend, being sick. Godspeed be with Her.

      Delete
  2. My thoughts and prayers are with your friend Sandra.

    Thank you for the uplifting words of wisdom. and for the picture of your kitty. And yes, the odd thing is when I smile I can feel a difference inside, as if my body's actions really are connected to my emotions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra is a fighter. Midnight says I should post pictures of him as it would increase circulation -- his! :-) Yes, smiles even when conjured with will do make us feel a bit better emotionally, don't they?

      Sorry about the long delayed reply but the blood center kept me busy all day and most of the night Sunday. Whew!

      Delete
  3. Nice post, Roland. I smiled the whole time as I read. I love morning walks for all the reasons stated and tried to get my walk in before the rain this morning. But alas, we were already 'socked-in' as they say. Guess I'll build a desk instead!
    Positive thoughts to your friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra has a Spartan warrior's spirit. Living in South Louisiana, I know all about rain!!! :-) I;m glad you enjoyed my little post.

      Delete
  4. Hi Roland - my thoughts with Sandra and all who suffer. Life can have its moments ... but however long we have we need to live them ... take care - love the Penguin! Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandra can still find it within her to laugh. Yes, what moments we have, we must truly live them to the fullest and not merely endure, right>

      Isn't that penguin great fun. I got him from Pixabay for the cost of a cup of coffee -- now, he can grace my blog whenever I want him. Cool, huh? :-)

      Delete