FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

TWEET MORE!

Twitter is the platform that led us into the mobile Internet age. 

It has done for social publishing what AOL did for email.

But things have been declining for Twitter.

The lack of growth in the number of Twitter users has been a concern among shareholders, 

who have seen the value of Twitter shares decline from an all time high of $73 in December 2013 to its current range of about $24 to $25.

 According to Re/code, “Twitter is desperate to find new ways to attract users to the product.”

Twitter may have found a way: 
longer tweets.

In August, Twitter announced that it was ditching the 140-character limit on direct messages, 

the so-called “private side” of the social media giant that lets users communicate with one another privately.

 According to numerous media reports Tuesday, the sacrosanct character limit 

— the distinctive emblem of concision that helped make Twitter famous — 

may be on its way out, and up.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

SHOULD TWITTER INCREASE ITS LIMIT BEYOND 140 CHARACTERS?

AND BY HOW MUCH? 

Oh, 
and 
 A new study suggests that overuse of Twitter could cause relationship conflicts,
 leading to infidelity and breakup.


 The study’s author speculated that these Twitter-related fights could be responsible for cheating and breakups.

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?

**

Long ago, Kathryn and I competed in tango competitions, and lately I have been dusting off those rusty skills.

Tonight, I was allowed to leave an hour and half early from work, and I danced with a lovely gypsy, Lydia, to this tune -- it felt good to be on the dance floor again.

No prizes won -- but sometimes the reward is found within the dance.

6 comments:

  1. You tango? How cool is that!

    I'm afraid I never got into Twitter, so whatever happens regarding changes doesn't affect me. But I did read today how Lena Dunham is giving it up because of the attacks she's been receiving. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tango -- just not as well as I once did -- practice will help with that. :-)

      I do Twitter because all the experts said to do so, but it just seems to be a long string of BUY ME! demands. Sigh. It is sad that Lena is giving it up. So did Joss Whedon of Marvel fame. :-(

      Delete
  2. Hi Roland - the clip is lovely to listen to - and how wonderful to know that you danced in competitions ... happy memories. It must be the most amazing release to be able to do ... lucky you. I hope you can get to practice.

    Twitter I've never got into it ... but social media is a divisive force -so helpful at times ... but when you can be anonymous, or post before you've had time to think ... and read everything that comes in - whereas in the big bad world outside we'd ignore or just not see all those bad things - yes a few might creep through. A great deal of social media is addictive ...and unnecessary ... leading to waste of time, following the crowd, trying to prove something that's totally irrelevant - i.e. you're a cut above all your mates in the social media world.

    Loved the tango clip - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did feel good to flex old muscle memory again -- although the time constraints of my job as a rare blood courier allows me scant time to practice!

      Social Media seems a time drain as well -- and 140 characters allow for little expression or depth of thought. FB often seems petty or mean spirited -- much like some of the comments on Goodreads.

      Glad you liked the music. :-)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations on getting back to something that I am guessing you love.
    There are enough twits without me. I don't play twitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love to dance with a good partner. :-) And you are right: there are enough twits -- with many of them running for political office!!

      Delete