FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

FIND WRITING SUCCESS BEFORE NEW YEAR'S EVE_Insecure Writers Support Group




Coming Soon To Audible:



And now these insightful authors can help you far better than I can:


“You were once wild here. Don’t let them tame you.”
Isadora Duncan


“Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.”
Steve Jobs


“Talking endlessly about something instead of doing it depletes you of the drive to get it done.”
Milli Thornton, Write Your Screenplay in 29 Days


“By consciously rising to meet challenges, we transform them into opportunities.”
Sharon Jeffers in Cards of Destiny


“A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.”
Richard Bach


“We all have big changes in our lives that are more or less a second chance.”
Harrison Ford

“When your heart speaks, take good notes.”
Judith Campbell


“Why are you trying so hard to fit in when you were born to stand out?”
— From the movie What a Girl Wants


“Never, for the sake of peace and quiet, deny your own experience or convictions.”
Dag Hammarskjold



"You know how it is in the kid's book world; it's just bunny eat bunny."
Victor Standish



 
Don't explain why it works; explain how you use it.
- Steven Brust
 
 
I have been successful probably because I have always realized that I knew nothing about writing 
 
and have merely tried to tell an interesting story entertainingly.
- Edgar Rice Burroughs



If you write one story, it may be bad; if you write a hundred, you have the odds in your favor.
- Edgar Rice Burroughs



The reason 99% of all stories written are not bought by editors is very simple. Editors NEVER buy manuscripts that are left on the closet shelf at home.
- John Campbell




People on the outside think there's something magical about writing, 
 
that you go up in the attic at midnight and cast the bones and come down in the morning with a story, but it isn't like that.
 
You sit in back of the typewriter and you work, and that's all there is to it.
- Harlan Ellison




"Thank your readers and the critics who praise you, 

and then ignore them. 

Write for the most intelligent, wittiest, wisest audience in the universe:  

Write to please yourself."
- Harlan Ellison




"Writing is the hardest work in the world. 

I have been a bricklayer and a truck driver, and I tell you 

-- as if you haven't been told a million times already -- 

that writing is harder. Lonelier. And nobler and more enriching."
- Harlan Ellison



And lastly from the master:

"At one time I thought the most important thing was talent.

I think now that the young man or the young woman must possess or teach himself, 

training himself, in infinite patience, which is to try and to try until it comes right.

 He must train himself in ruthless intolerance--

that is to throw away anything that is false no matter how much he might love that page or that paragraph.

The most important thing is insight, that is to be--

curious--

to wonder, to mull, and to muse why it is that man does what he does,

and if you have that, 

then I don't think the talent makes much difference, whether you've got it or not."
- William Faulkner




One last:

"Style is less the man than the way a man takes himself."

- Robert Frost



All right, another one:
Get it down. Take chances. It may be bad, but it's the only way you can do anything really good.
- William Faulkner
  
"The struggle is always worthwhile, if the end be worthwhile and the means honorable;

foreknowledge of defeat is not sufficient reason to withdraw from the contest."       
- Samuel McCord

28 comments:

  1. Edgar Rice Burroughs was a very wise man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ellison's quote is my favorite. I write what I want to write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. I love most to read Ellison's essays ... as with Mark Twain. :-)

      Delete
  3. Lots of wisdom. Forgotten wisdom. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roland. '“Talking endlessly about something instead of doing it depletes you of the drive to get it done.”
    — Milli Thornton. That must have been why Hemingway said that writers shouldn't talk about their current book until it was ready to discuss. Write it first.

    Great motivational quotes.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hemingway was the paragon of do-er's all right. :-) Talked about dinners are never cooked to be to be tasted, right? :-)

      Delete
  5. I like McCord's sentiments, 'the struggle is always worthwhile. . .' to try is to grow. I understand the not talking about the writing til it's done. It's not the end until it's The End.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, as long as the goal is worthwhile and the means honorable, certain defeat is not cause enough not to try. :-) Thanks for visiting and staying to chat awhile. It means a lot.

      Delete
  6. Hi Roland ... learning to be curious gives us a greater feel into life ... and leads us on; focus is the next essential - realise what we need to do and get it done: my work for the autumn.

    Encourage curiosity in youngsters in particular ... we learn as they teach us and vice versa ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the teacher learns from his students, too. :-)

      I pray each day for a childlike curiosity and wonder towards life. Thanks for visiting and staying to talk awhile.

      Delete
  7. And this is my new tattoo, IF I were to get a tattoo. “A professional writer is an amateur who didn’t quit.”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Yes it is a good motto to have ... just not necessarily written on our bodies, right? :-)

      Delete
  8. I love the Bach quote. Persistence over time=success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Bach's might be my favorite, too.Water can wear down stone, so there is hope for all of us.

      Delete
  9. A very inspirational set of quotes, though I'll say I love that first one most...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome quotes! So much wisdom we can soak up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can't be wise at least I can quote those who are! :-)

      Delete
  11. I'm a sucker for author/writing quotes. I have a pin board of my favorites and to help stay motivated. Love the last Faulkner quote and the 'odds in your favor' quote from Edgar Rice Burroughs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. William Faulkner and Harlan Ellison are two of my favorite mentors. Yes, let's keep the odds in our favor!

      Delete
  12. Oh my gosh. You are always so inspirational and encouraging. Thanks for all the quotes to ponder. :)

    Edge of Your Seat Stories

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought to tap the thoughts of those who helped me in dark times. I'm glad you liked them. :-)

      Delete
  13. I've really missed your blog, Roland. I love how it's always so different from everything else there.

    Thanks for making me smile, once again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your compliment made my weary evening so much happier. May the coming days be easier on you.

      Delete