“Life is short, Break the Rules.
Forgive quickly, Kiss SLOWLY.
Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably
And never regret ANYTHING
That makes you smile.”
― Mark Twain
Just a heartbeat ago, I eased into Roland's apartment to swap tall tales
when I came upon him dozing and feverish in front of his electronic newspaper,
blog he calls it. Sounds like one of those tar pits in California those poor dinosaurs critters got stuck in.
I leaned over his shoulder and read what he wrote.
Why, what was wrong with the boy? His post depressed the beejesus out of me, and I'm dead.
What he needed was a little help from his good friend, the beloved, yet humble, genius of literature ... me
What was needed here was ... I stroked my chin. Of course, what was needed here was ... me.
I would save Roland from his depressing folly.
It came to me that folks would want to hear again about something I had written here some time back.
Now, it might be a folly to do so, but ain't life more fun with a few follies stuffed into it?
I started to ruminate on all of life's follies
when it came to me how much help those terrible horror movies Roland watches truly are.
Why there are some golden lessons to be found in those flickering frames,
especially for you folks not blessed to be ghosts like myself :
1) When it appears that you have killed the monster, ALWAYS get the loud-mouthed neighbor to check to see if it's really dead.
The bliss of silence in the neighborhood will be your reward.
2) Even if it seems to be the funniest thing in all creation, never read a book of demon summoning aloud. Your mother-in-law is demon enough, thank you.
3) When the power goes out, gals in flimsy undies will ALWAYS take a fancy to search the basement -- and they NEVER change their flashlight batteries.
4) If your young 'uns suddenly start to speak to you in Latin or any other language which they should not know, shoot them immediately.
It will save you a lot of grief in the long run. For such eventualities,
ALWAYS buy automatic handguns, since it will probably take several rounds to kill them.
A loving parent is a sure-kill parent.
This also applies to any tiny waifs who suddenly start to speak as if they have been gargling with lye.
They are either possessed or have been raiding Father's liquor cabinet.
Either way they deserve what they get.
5) As a general rule of thumb, don't solve puzzles that open portals to Hell.
6) If appliances start operating by themselves, send your spouse to check for short-circuits, then get the hell out of the house.
Ignore the subsequent screaming -- or enjoy it, depending upon just how "sweet" your bitter half has been to you lately.
7) If you are offered a "steal of a deal" on a house that has been
a) built on the site of an Injun massacre,
b) the home of a family whose members had taken to dismembering one another, or
c) been an asylum whose inmates took to munching on the help --
take the real estate agent lovingly, kindly and gently by the arm --
and shove her into the basement, locking it behind you. Unnatural beasties get hungry. And better they make human jerky out of her than you.
Don't mind about the body. It won't be there when the police arrive. The police won't be around long either -- if they stay.
7 hours ago