FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Friday, May 17, 2019

Why HEART is important in a story



I stayed away from the show RIZZOLI & ISLES 

until earlier this year when I got a deal on Season 1.

The promo photos like the one above had led me to think 

it was a police procedural made shallow by two plastic leads.


But the series had heart, 
humor, and compassion


I decided to try the series of books
on which the show 
was based.


The heart, friendship, and humor 
were not in the books.  

The gory details of the murders were
too dominant for me.

The books literally left
me cold.


The heart of the show was revealed in how it treated the suicide of 

Lee Thompson Young who played Detective Frost.


The show dealt with Lee’s death in a way that was not just respectful to the actor 

and the role that he had filled in the company of actors, but also to his character. 


His desk remained empty except for the action figure he kept there for two seasons afterwards.


Lee's character Frost appeared in spirit in various episodes.


And the sense of his loss was an ongoing theme throughout the remaining four seasons.





If you haven't tried  
RIZOLLI & ISLES,
give it a shot.

HAVE YOU EVER STUMBLED
UPON A TV SERIES
AND LOVED IT
ONLY
TO FIND IT HAD
BEEN CANCELLED?

9 comments:

  1. Hi Roland - I wouldn't get involved with the Forsyte Saga back in the late 1960s ... but was totally hooked in the 2002/3 series ... thankfully it wasn't cancelled ... but do love continuation with characters in a show I love. This looks fun though - enjoy ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is fun for me. I is one of those series which you can re-watch certain episodes just for the banter, friendship, and the foreshadowing of plot twists to come. :-)

      Delete
    2. Oops. The key for "t" stuck without me realizing it so the 2nd sentence was supposed to start with "It." Uh, oh. You don't suppose that clown is hanging around me, do you? :-)

      Delete
  2. Great endorsement for this show. I'll give it a try.
    I didn't watch Gilmore Girls when it originally aired. Just wasn't on my radar. Later, when I was doing a show that I wrote and some young ladies were in it, they said, "You remind us of Lauren Graham. We think you'd like Gilmore Girls." I still didn't get into it. But, this winter, during our Polar Vortex, I spent more evening at home snuggled under blankets, drinking tea, and yes, watching Gilmore Girls. I think I'm watching it at the right time in life for me.
    Writers need to keep this in mind while creating their stories, that we need to CARE about the characters. They need to be complex, a little flawed, but someone that we root for.

    Great post.

    Mary at Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it, Mary. What a fascinating story about THE GILMORE GIRLS. You're right: a series of shows or books has to hit at the right frame of mind to connect with us.

      Another thing I appreciated about the show was it did not linger on the beginning murder -- just a quick snippet to give us a few clues for the chase to come, along with a pit-stop or two into the hearts of the main characters.

      Watching it one episode to the next like with Netflix helped me connect to them faster.

      Like you, I feel the reader has to care about the Main Characters in jeopardy if she or he is to continue turning the pages.

      Thanks for such an in-depth comment, Mary. :-)

      Delete
  3. You gave it a chance and it was better than expected. Like it when that happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never watched this show. I don't watch a lot of TV. I got involved with one called The Fix this spring. It was OK and then it got cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is the danger of getting involved in a TV show: it gets cancelled, and you are left hanging. So good to see you here. I am off to Lafayette to a hospital to which I've never been in a city filled with maddening one-way streets@!

      Delete