FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, April 20, 2021

GASLIGHTING and how to survive it

 

Are you feeling lower self-esteem?

Are you feeling growing emotional dependence on the person striking sparks from you?

Are conflicts with that person funneling you down a rabbit hole of 

frustration, confusion, and anger, making you question your perceptions?


You may be being Gaslighted.

When we find ourselves, like now, penned in with people for extended periods of time.

 lies, trivializations, and denial are easier to use to make the unsuspecting doubt themselves.

Are you hearing

"You're being dramatic."

"You're blowing things out of proportion."

"That never happened."

"You're remembering wrong."

You might reply:

"I know what I saw."

"Denying reality does not change it."

"I will not continue this conversation if you continue to minimize my feelings, my thoughts, in essence myself."

"By minimizing me like this, you are saying more about your own deficiencies than mine."

In the end ...

Be kind to yourself  ... 

even if it means walking out of the room ... 

or out of the relationship.

4 comments:

  1. That's the best thing to do - just get away from the toxic person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roland - it's an awful scenario and a dreadful word ... I've just asked someone to take it out of a report they've written - it was completely the wrong context. Equally I understand your post - just get away and keep your sanity... all the best - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have to keep an eye out for those who do not mean us well and have hidden agendas.

      Delete