FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Saturday, February 24, 2024

POETRY DIES FIRST, THEN PROSE

 


"The poetry of the earth is never dead."

- John Keats

“Never be bullied into silence. Never allow yourself to be made a victim. Accept no one’s definition of your life; define yourself.”
- Robert Frost

"Poetry is when an emotion has found its thought, and the thought has found words.”
  - Robert Frost



Has poetry become the slide rule of literature, of the arts?

The knee-jerk instinct is to strongly deny that assertion.  

But sadly wanting something to be true does not make it true.


In 1992, 17% of Americans had read ONE poem IN THE PRIOR YEAR. ONE IN A YEAR'S TIME.

In 2012, 6.7% had read ONE poem IN THE PAST YEAR.  6.7%!  ONE POEM!

Since 2002, the number of poetry readers has contracted 45% --  

the steepest decline in any literary genre.

Poetry is less popular than jazz, dance, and knitting.  

It only beats going to the opera by a slim percentage.

From 2004 to 2015 Google Searches for poetry have fallen faster than a brick kite.  

Today's Google Searches for poetry are only 20% of what they were ten years ago.


Our hearts want it to be otherwise, but the numbers say different.


Still, I read poetry daily for it sings to me as no other prose does and whispers my soul's thoughts:


I live alone, I look to die alone:
Yet sometimes, when a wind sighs through the sedge,
Ghosts of my buried years, and friends come back,


My heart goes sighing after swallows flown
On sometime summer's unreturning track. 


 - Christina Georgiana Rossetti
 

5 comments:

  1. It’ll come as no surprise that I adore opera. I do so appreciate your continued interest in my poetry. Thank you, Roland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My musical tastes are eclectic. There are snippets of some operas that appeal to me: like the overture to Wagner's Flying Dutchman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cum3HoVhMIs

      What did Mark Twain write? "Wagner's music is better than it sounds" :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. That is why he is one of repeat characters in my novels! :-)

      Delete
  3. Roland, I have enjoyed poetry but must admit, I have strayed away. Not because I don't enjoy it, but because I use the excuse that I can't find the time. I write poetry and enjoy reading others. Life is just absurdly busy presently. If you have not taken in Jim Morrison's work, check out Wilderness. It's a book of lost work of his. It pairs well with the album, American Prayer by the Doors after Morrison's passing.

    ReplyDelete