FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Saturday, July 28, 2012

HOW TO USE TWITTER TO INCREASE THE SALES OF YOUR BOOK

(The lovely cover image by the artist extraordinaire, Leonora Roy)

THREE SPIRIT KNIGHT is still struggling in its birth throes ...

Yet, when it is finally finished, I will use Twitter to help boost its sales.

Until then, I will help you boost your own sales using Twitter

1.) I'LL HAVE THE HASHBROWNS, IF YOU PLEASE:

If you’re not much of a Twitterer, you may not know what hashtags are, but if you’re trying to sell books, it’s something you should know.

The hash or number symbol (# – the character above three on a keyboard).

In Twitter, words with this symbol are identified as search terms for a tweet, in much the same way as tags are used for articles, blog posts, or products on Amazon.

You can attach #book, #ebook, #kindle, and/or #nook anytime you tweet about books, ebooks, or ereaders.

People who are looking for information about any of these, can search within Twitter or on Twitter-related sites like Twubs, Twibes, or Topsy for all tweets with those hashtags. This system takes the overwhelming mish-mash of sound bites that is Twitter and turns it into a useful, organized directory of information.

One hashtag that is particularly useful for authors is “#samplesunday”.

This hashtag is the brainchild of author David Wiseheart, who first proposed its use on his blog, “Kindle Author”.

The point of #samplesunday is to post an excerpt of your writing on your website, and then tweet about it with the hashtag #samplesunday.

You can then search for Sunday samples, read them, comment on them, and of course, retweet them. It’s a quick and easy way for authors to spread the word about their work and show it off to those who are looking for something new to read for the week.

{Many thanks to both David Wiseheart and Madeline Plimpton for these ideas.)

2.) HI-LINKS:

Always include a link to your website. Only one out of fifty will follow. But 100% of them will not go if you do not include the link. Use Bitly to shorten your link for more characters for your tweet.

3.) EXCUSE ME, BUT DO YOU EVER TAKE A BREATH?

Have you noticed how much BUY MY BOOK!!! is out there on the tweets? Use quirky, interesting questions to start a CONVERSATION. What a concept, right?

Invite tweeters opinions with polls, maybe even a contest concerning your book.

4.) HAVE YOU HEARD ...

People read twitter for news, gossip, the latest trends. If you heard of a juicy or interesting tidbit, tweet it and ask for opinions. Try to make only 1 out of 5 tweets about your book.

5.) I AM NOT ALEX CAVANAUGH. ARE YOU?

Alex visits 100 blogs a day! John Locke twittered hours a day at the start of his eBook Empire building.

Neither you nor I have that kind of job like Alex or are already a stay-at-home millionaire as John Locke was to have that kind of time.

So use your time wisely. USE TWITTER SEARCH to find Twitterers who have posted on the subject or genre of your book. Take an hour to tweet each and every person you discover. It may only garner you one buyer, but that buyer may tell others.

6.) TO HAVE A FRIEND, BE A FRIEND:

Re-tweet other people's tweets.

That means you must be on Twitter to see what others are tweeting about. It is not certain that they will return the favor, but you will have birthed gratitude in most of them. As a rare blood courier, I seldom find the time to surf the twitter waves. For all my friends who have re-tweeted my tweets, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

7.) HARD SELL IS NO SELL:

Social media does sell books, but only if you don’t use it to sell books.

If all you ever do is hawk your books on Twitter, all you will hear is the sound of one hand ... not clapping ... but tuning you out. Ouch!

If you want to spend money, you’d be far better off doing it on a Goodreads ad or a Kindle Nation sponsorship, i.e. a place where readers gather online.

8.) NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOUR BOOK:

Think of all the books you hear about on a daily basis ... from walking through a bookstore, browsing book reviews, gossip from friends, or looking at the headlines of Amazon.

It is very hard to get people to care enough about your book

that they go and buy it. It’s the hardest part.

And before you can even do that, you have to get them interested in the concept and before that ... interested in you.

How do you get people interested in you?

Be interested in them, their dreams and how they can possibly achieve them. Help them in some small way to do that ... and they will be interested in you enough to visit your blog ...

And perhaps take a gamble on your book. Think about it and try it to see if it works for you.

11 comments:

  1. I tweet about my book approximately twice a week. I am DETERMINED not to become a social network whore who does nothing but self-promote. I know it turns people off because I unfollow people who do it.

    Finding the balance is tough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Roland! Like Donna, I also unfollow people who self-promote excessively. Sounds like you have the balance just perfect, and I'll be bookmarking this for when I'm ready to promote my work via Twitter. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post and excellent advice Roland. I didn't know about samplesunday but I like the concept. I'm still shy on twitter though, but I'll figure it out eventually. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just about choked on my cereal when I hit number five!
    Good tips, Roland. I don't use Twitter as often as I should, but I do retweet often. And I've never sent out a buy my book tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Donna -- striking a balance is tough. I'd much rather spend more time on writing and submitting my work to quality publications, but I know I need to market my work better than I am.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna:
    Late start today since I worked most of the night and am slated to work most of the day! Alone! Whew!

    I know what you mean! Enough about me. What do you think about me?

    That kind of "used car salesman" approach turns me off. Yet, we want others to know about our book.

    It is a tricky path to walk.

    Catherine:
    And thank you for bookmarking this post. Let me know when you publish your book, and I will shout it out. Will do an interview if you would like when it hits the stands or the internet.

    Elise:
    I, too, am shy on Twitter. Also I so little free time to be a good conversationalist on it. Quite a challenge: be witty and charming in 3 sentences! :-)

    Alex:
    I smiled when I wrote #5, thinking of just such a scenario with you as you read it. My hat's off to you!

    Do you have a clone that you can do so much on the internet every day? :-)

    I agree. Twitter and the other social media is such a new frontier, I do not believe any of us use it to its full potential. But selfishness and show-boating has always turned off folks. So we must be careful in talking more about others than ourselves ... something you have perfected on your excellent blog.

    Thanks for being my friend, Alex.

    Milo:
    I think you are being published in so many quality publications that Twitter is not needed in your case. My hat is also off to you as well. (Stetson, actually)

    You do not quit and you find outlets for your work. You are an inspiration, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips! I started twittering a while back, then my daughter needed me, and now in the past two months I've been hacked three times on Twitter! So now I have to rethink my way back. All you point out is true.

    I haven't forgotten you, my friend. Like you, I've been buried in my work, meaning my daughter's care. You and I both have important jobs!

    I have Burnt Offerings on my Kindle. That's certainly a tempting cover!

    Take care...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Ann:
    I am so sorry that you were hacked twice on Twitter. It seems that some people have too much time on their hands so they misuse it in cruelty!

    I will pray for strength for you and better times for your daughter. Sometimes life seems to come at us from all sides, doesn't it?

    Thank you for downloading BURNT OFFERINGS onto your Kindle. The temptress on the cover hopefully will tempt a few more to download the book! She is the villainess, of course! A mysterious Greek physician tries to rescue an abandoned small girl from her. But can anyone save a girl from the heartache of being abandoned?

    I hope you enjoy the collection of short stories, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, Roland. I'll keep it bookmarked for future reference!
    With my twitter, I like to incorporate personal tweets as well as ones relating to my career. I'm not solely a writer, and I like letting my followers now this! I like sharing my little adventures with them, sharing pictures of something interesting, and then I also include stuff about my book... But as you said, it's important that we don't overwhelm our followers with the same things.

    I'll keep all of this in mind when my book releases this fall! Thanks, and I hope everything is going well with your books!
    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great information Roland. I just started using Twitter and it confuses me but I understand its value.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindsey:
    I think you are on the right track: establishing a personal connection with your Twitter friends, letting them know you as a full person not just a sales lady!

    Siv:
    Twitter still confuses me. That plus I have so little free time to visit there! Thanks for visiting. I hope your family vacation is still going well!!

    ReplyDelete