FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

TO HAVE EVERYTHING AND NOTHING__THE TURQUOISE WOMAN

I am Day.

I am Night.

I am the World.

I am the Turquoise Woman.

And a traveler like all of you.

You walk miles. I spin through the vastness of space, listening to the ghost songs of the solar winds.

I awakened already spinning through space, hugged to the sun's warmth by his invisible arms of gravity.

But the sun is a distant lover and following his own path through the stars, drawn by bonds of his own.

He is caught like a glistening bead of dew in the web of the solar system.

Together, he and my sisters journey in a cluster which is itself part of a moving community of stars you call the Milky Way.

Travelers all, we can neither turn to the left nor to the right of our own volition.

We are children of gravity and explosion, cast into the darkness by forces we little understand or know.

I used to envy you your freedom of movement, of choice. But the longer I watched your scurrying over my surface, the more a dark truth spoke to me :

You, too, are children of the gravity of your species and the explosion of the times around you which you little understand or know.

You bristle with denial?

If you cannot understand your own heart, how can you understand another's?

Which choices are yours totally?

As gravity and momentum send me on my path, so do your DNA, location, and experience spread the pattern of the paths before you.

You are no more free than I am or the goldfish wandering the narrow confines of its bowl.

From within its bowl, the world seems so large to the goldfish. Yet, it is trapped within invisible walls.

As are you.

Freedom is an illusion to the goldfish, to me, and to you.

Do we choose or do the choices choose us?
***


9 comments:

  1. Catherine:
    Yes, The Turquoise Woman allowed me to speak for her. I'm glad you liked it. You might like my THE BEAR WITH 2 SHADOWS where The Turquoise Woman is a major character, a Merlin-like mentor to a young cub in a Native American THE WIND IN THE WILLOWS.

    You made my morning with your compliment, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetic words.
    The power of the human spirit is strong though and can enact change.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex:
    I agree with you, hence my 8 rules I have just posted. What did Gandhi say? "Be the change you wish to see in the world." Thanks for visiting Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this poem.
    I really must catch up with more of your work, but Life has a habit of getting in the way at times, sorry, I'll try harder! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post Roland, it truly is a beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan:
    There is just so much time in your day. I understand. But when I become the new JK Rowling, boy, will you be sorry! LOL. I'll keep a light burning for you on my blog. :-)

    Elise:
    I am so happy that you liked this post. I sometimes worry that I am too poetic in my prose. Thanks for quelling that fear today, Roland

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always endeavor to treat others as if I were treating myself.

    The best one is about the bullies.

    There was 2 redheads, stout ones at that, that always wreaked havoc in our neighborhood. I was fearful of them.

    One day I had enough, went up to the biggest one talking smack, and bloodied his nose. His brother said, "I bet you wouldn't do that to me!"

    So I did.

    Those two crossed the street subsequent every time they saw me or my friends together.

    Good list by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeremy:
    Bullies love to inflict pain, but somehow they cannot endure it. I'm glad you braced them and stood your ground. Have a great mid-week, Roland

    ReplyDelete