FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, May 23, 2022

ARE YOU RELUCTANT TO EXPRESS YOURSELF IN PUBLIC OR IN BOOKS THAT THE PUBLIC WILL READ?

 

Voltaire is wrongly attributed to have said:

"I may disagree with what you have to say, but I shall defend, to the death, your right to say it."

That sentence is found in THE FRIENDS OF VOLTAIRE.  

Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote the book under the pseudonym S[tephen] G. Tallentyre,

Oh, do any of you use pseudonyms?  

As a mask of protection or for something else entirely?


https://www.amazon.com/Stars-Bleed-At-Midnight/dp/B09NRKWZTZ/

I once had my Texas Ranger protagonist use "Oriental" for a people and a locale in my 1895 historical fantasy


and received a tart email saying "Asian" was the proper term now. 

I replied that I was writing through the eyes of a 1895 lawman who had never been accused of being proper.


Do you hesitate to write about certain topics or use certain types of characters: trans, gay, racial minority, political party member 

for fear of possible backlash?


(Sold for $46 million at auction in 2013)

Every 6 weeks or so I treat myself to an expensive kind of meal. 

So today, I went to a restaurant recommended to me.


After surviving two hurricanes, a freeze, and a tornado last year and my wipers dying as I drove on the interstate in blinding rains yesterday, 

I felt it was only right to say "Thanks" over my meal.

Silent, of course in these touchy times, but with head bowed, eyes closed, and hands clasped.


I was startled by a rough hand on my shoulder shaking me hard.

I looked up. 

A very sharply dressed businessman. "That's offensive, and you know that!"

I sighed, "I know I obviously offended you."

"That's right."

"Then, look the other way."

The businessman gestured to a man in a tie coming out from the back. "This man is engaging in offensive behavior!"

The man looked like he was having a very hard bowel movement, obviously knew the businessman, and wanted to keep him happy.

"I'm afraid you're going to have to leave."

"I just got my meal."

"That was not a request."

I sighed, got up, and left my waitress a tip. There was no point that she got punished along with me. She hadn't prayed ...


although with such a boss she might have stood in need of it.

SO, HOW WAS YOUR DAY?

No comments:

Post a Comment