FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Tuesday, May 31, 2022

LONG AFTER YOU'RE GONE, YOUR BOOK WILL STILL BE OUT THERE_IWSG Post

 

Writing is not hard. No. 

It's keeping on writing that is hard.


Anyone can start. 
Not everyone can finish.



Two hurricanes one right after another 
and a tornado later on certainly almost finished me.


The world's greatest potato peeler was once asked the secret to his success.

He said,  "I peel one potato at a time."


One sentence at a time.

It might spark an idea for a whole page.

Six months of that will birth a novella.


“You can sit there, tense and worried, freezing the creative energies, or you can start writing something. 

It doesn't matter what. 

In five or ten minutes, the imagination will heat, the tightness will fade, 

and a certain spirit and rhythm will take over.”

 – Leonard Bernstein

“Time is the coin of your life. 

It is the only coin you have and only you can determine how it will be spent. 

Be careful lest you let other people spend it for you.” 

– Carl Sandburg

Today, sit down and write just one sentence.

Kill your protagonist; open up a trapdoor at her feet; write the first thing that comes to mind.

Don't like it? That is what the back space key is for!

Wish me luck on my slow-go on my latest book.

Lucas is tired of waiting for me to come with a credible way out of the death trap I put him in.

Me, too!

16 comments:

  1. I agree with you Roland. Just get started. As someone said, you can't edit a blank page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, Denise. Like Louis Lamour wrote: the water won't come until you turn on the faucet! :-)

      Delete
  2. For some reason, I'm not allowed to use my Google account on embedded commenting, but I'm still trying to figure out why.

    I love the thought of how books live on after us. I also like how stories and characters seem to stay with us long after we finish a story/book.

    Teresa @ T. Powell Coltrin Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger has changed once again, and like you, I cannot figure out the sense of it! Teresa, I know that I often quote literary characters in my conversation as if they were real friends. :-)

      Delete
  3. Great words here. Sometimes the best answer is to just start writing. Actually, a lot more often than sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick! You're right. Put super glue on your hind pockets and write! :-)

      Delete
  4. I was off playing last month, so I'm glad I get a chance to catch up with what's going on here. Great post as usual and one I'm in accord with. Just take it as it comes, do what you can, and be content within the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need a time to play and let our minds lie fallow. I mean if dirt needs a rest, how much so our minds, right, Lee?

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and staying to comment, Anna!

      Delete
  6. You better get him out of that trap then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) I think I have, Diane ... with the help of one of Leonardo Da Vinci's notebooks and an invention of Nikola Tesla's!

      Delete
  7. I love this post. Great advice, Roland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means a lot, Joylene, that you really like this post. :-)

      Delete
  8. You have been an inspiration with your persistence, Roland. A wise post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fundy Blue, that means so much to me ... especially today. :-)

      Delete