FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, December 27, 2010

FIRST FOOT


The shades of years past watch us.

We, of the modern age, stumble and bumble our way,

sure of our sophistication and education.

But what if there are principles of which we are unaware that take no notice of our ignorance of them ...

only chastise us when we break them.

After all gravity takes no breaks ...

it only gives them

Take "First Foot," a custom concerning the first visitor of the New Year to a home. His function is to bring prosperity and good fortune for the ensuing 12 months to those he visits.

He comes just as soon as possible after midnight, bringing gifts which symbolize plentiful food, health, and wealth. Sometimes he carries an evergreen branch as a symbol of continuing life.

Strict rules govern the choice of First Foot : male always for he symbolizes the New Year. No redheads need apply. The luckiest representative is a dark-haired stranger, symbolizing a new year full of undiscovered mysteries.

An old form of First Foot has the visitor entering silently, greeted by none. He goes straight to the hearth, laying the evergreen branch on the fire and a sprig of mistletoe on the mantle above. Then, he turns and greets those living in the home, and festivities ensue.

I wonder what thought first visited the homes of our minds last year? Did it symbolize the atmosphere, the temper of our thoughts for the remaining 12 months?

What thought do you think should first visit your mind this New Year? What First Foot will be your physical first visitor?

Can you remember who first entered your home last January? Did he or she reflect the luck and temper of the following 12 months?

Just thought it would be fun to think on these questions, Roland
***


6 comments:

  1. Intriguing. Try as I might, I can't remember. It's gonna bug me. You know that, right? ;o/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember what first entered my mind at the beginning of this year. But as for 2011, I suppose I shall have to think about that . . .

    I love the Steamroller video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who could remember that far back....

    Intriguing thought though. I will pay attention this year and let you know.


    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL: My first thought of the new year was probably "where's the tylenol"; I partied last new year's. I think.

    My first guests are usually some friend of my red-headed son. They're usually bald - or nearly so :) Bounty and wealth isn't what I think of with them. More like: quick lock the cupboards and fridge! LOL

    Do you think an Agent would concent to be my First Foot this year? Boy, that would hearold well for me :)

    This is a nice sentiment though. The thought that the first visitor to your home in the new year will bring prosperity and good fortune.

    Some of these olden traditions are much more worthy than our modern desires. A nice thing to think about over the next few days.

    Have you already picked out the person to be your first foot Roland?

    ........dhole

    ReplyDelete
  5. My sister once told me that what you're doing when the new year arrives will be what you're doing through out the whole year.

    I think I was laughing and playing on the computer while watching tv with my husband....

    I've never heard of the First Foot tradition, but I really like it. How cool!

    BTW, it's Marlena's birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Words Crafter : Yes, Marlene's ghost came to remind right before you did. What do you give a beautiful ghost?

    Donna : It would be nice to have an agent be the first foot for all of us, wouldn't it?

    Michael : It would have to be a pretty impressive first foot person to make a year long impression, wouldn't it?

    Golden Eagle : Hopefully, our first thoughts this New Year will be healing ones -- we could all use a healing year, right?

    Mary : It would have to be a pretty impressive thought or person for any of us to remember our first foot, right? Have a great first foot this year!

    ReplyDelete