FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Saturday, December 27, 2014

FIRST FOOT of NEW YEAR'S!

The shades of years past watch us.We, of the modern age, stumble and bumble our way,
sure of our sophistication and education.

But what if there are principles of which we are unaware that take no notice of our ignorance of them ...

only chastise us when we break them.




After all, gravity takes no breaks ...

it only gives them


Take "First Foot,"


a custom concerning the first visitor of the New Year to a home.

His function is to bring prosperity and good fortune for the ensuing 12 months to those he visits.

He comes just as soon as possible after midnight, bringing gifts which symbolize plentiful food, health, and wealth. Sometimes he carries an evergreen branch as a symbol of continuing life.

Strict rules govern the choice of First Foot:


Male always for he symbolizes the New Year.

No redheads need apply.

The luckiest representative is a dark-haired stranger, symbolizing a new year full of undiscovered mysteries.

An old form of First Foot has the visitor entering silently,
greeted by none.


He goes straight to the hearth, laying the evergreen branch on the fire and a sprig of mistletoe on the mantle above.

Then, he turns and greets those living in the home, and festivities ensue.


I wonder what thought first visited the homes of our minds last year?

Did it symbolize the atmosphere, the temper of our thoughts for the remaining 12 months?


What thought do you think should first visit your mind this New Year? What First Foot will be your physical first visitor?


Can you remember who first entered your home last January? Did he or she reflect the luck and temper of the following 12 months?

Just thought it would be fun to think on these questions, Roland

10 comments:

  1. I can't remember who walked in first last year, but I'm keeping an eye on who does it this year. Happy 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea who our first footer was. Not a red-head. Possibly family, who have (or had) dark hair and are certainly strange if not strangers. Something to consider this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would take exception to the fact that the first footer has to be male. Why, I wonder? And why no redheads? A lot of male dominated societies have such traditions. . .I think the best way to enter the new year is with a hopeful heart. I have had a few memorable ones, but that's another story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roland ..looks like you're getting a few questions back ... I know my life got turned upside down just before Christmas last year .. so the early New Year had building works going on - not in my schedule! This year I shall see who enters first and when ...

    First Footer - interesting tradition which I knew little about .. I hope all is well on your frontline as we move fast towards 2015 - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never heard of that tradition. And I can't even remember who visited my home last week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I honestly can't remember who first entered 2014, but I'll keep an eye on 2015's first foot. Happy New Year, Roland!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun! I'll definitely pay attention to my first visitor of 2015! I hope you have a wonderful New Year, Roland!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lee:
    I have so few visitors that my first 2014 visitors were probably the kids at Halloween!

    Elephant's Child:
    I certainly qualify for strange but no visitor at least!! And I am dark-haired as well. Happy New Year!!

    D.G,:
    I think your way of entering the New Year is best: with a hopeful heart!! :-)

    Hilary:
    I'm sorry your world got turned upside down last Christmas. :-(

    Whew! I've been out on call since 4 this morning!! 8 hours straight driving in pouring rain sure makes me appreciate being warm and inside now!!

    Alex:
    My visitors are so few like I said earlier that I haven't a clue to who it was!

    Milo:
    Happy New Year, too! I'll try to remember who the first visitor is this year, too. But by June and no visitors, I will probably have forgotten!

    Heather:
    I pray you have a happy new year as well! Only happy surprises for us both this year, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting -- I don't know if anyone came by my place because I'm always going to friends' houses instead.

    On New Years I always assess what I accomplished in the last year (and am always disappointed), and resolve to accomplish more in the year to come. One resolution that's coming up: Have more fun! I really do work too much, and from the sound of it so do you.

    Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete