FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

WANDERINGS ON DARKER SHORES








 I was frowning at my keyboard, writing my latest WIP at Meilori's

when a paperback was placed besides my computer.


I looked up.  It was the ghost of Edgar Allan Poe.  He sat down beside me, his eyes hollows of scenes best left unseen.

 “There are moments when even to the sober eye of reason, the world of our sad humanity may assume the semblance of Hell. ” 

"Uh, Mr. Poe, does that mean you like or dislike Cora Pop's book?"

"Indeed," he said, clarifying nothing.  I just hate ghosts sometimes.


Another writer sat down on the other side of me.  The air in Meilori's actually grew colder.  

I sighed.  H.P. Lovecraft.

 “I have seen the dark universe yawning
Where the black planets roll without aim,
Where they roll in their horror unheeded,
Without knowledge, or lustre, or name.” 


I sighed deeper.  "Thank you for sharing."


  
Victor Standish sat opposite me.  "You know Alice tells me that blood is really warm.  It's like drinking hot chocolate ... but with more screaming."

Lovecraft raised an eyebrow.  "Really?"

"Victor," I said low.  "You are NOT helping."

Edgar Allan Poe said, "You can tell that this young lady, Cora Pop, has had a lifelong love of spinning tales of the fantastic and the horrific. 

I am quite taken with her command of evocative prose."

Lovecraft nodded in agreement.  "I can tell that in her heart of hearts she feels an outsider, a stranger in this century and among those who are still men."

Victor made a face.  "I don't know about that: 

I just think she writes as if the world were a dream and nightmare was real.  There are echoes of dark nights and whispers from the crypt in her stories."

Poe said, "Mrs. Pop's plots, themes, and protagonists are artfully arranged so that each story and poem has a unity of effect.  

Her stories are short enough so that they can be read in one sitting and thus avoid the affairs of the world from intervening."

Lovecraft intoned, “There are horrors beyond life's edge that we do not suspect, 

and once in a while man's evocative tales calls them just within our range  Mrs. Pop's tales do just that.” 

Victor flashed a gypsy smile.  "And she writes good, too!"

I said to them all, "I think my blogger friends would love her book."

Lovecraft nodded, "Yes, indeed.  Mrs. Pop's prose is eerily evocative, so black, so immense that within it 

you can brush against appalling things and feel roaming and prowling around a strange, mysterious horror.” 

Victor sighed, "Well, there goes my good night's sleep!"



14 comments:

  1. I'll have to check out her book then!
    It's like drinking hot chocolate ... but with more screaming - great line, Roland.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex:
    I know Cora would love for you to check out her book. And Victor is a card, isn't he?

    Stephanine:
    That cover is, indeed, fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can't get a better introduction than this. And it reminds me I have to check out Victor too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inger:
    Sam is Victor's mentor and discovers he is also something more so I think you would enjoy Victor's adventures. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roland, thank you for the shoutout. I appreciate it more than words can tell. And I'm humbled to be in such great company... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kittie:
    That cover is fantastic, isn't it? And Victor thanks you!! :-)

    Vesper:
    Edgar and HP are certainly company that gives one pause all right! I was glad to do it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insightful and inventive star-studded review, Roland. First, I love dark stuff. Second, who could resist that cover?

    VR Barkowski

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, VR:
    I try to make my reviews distinctive so as to shine the light brighter on the books I like.

    And yes, that cover is truly astounding, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You do a great job with reviews, different than others because--yours are interesting! heehee

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an original review! Very entertaining and witty. Cora Pop must love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Roland .. interesting introduction to Cora Pop's book ... I've just checked it out and seen she's an aeronautical engineer by training but prefers her imaginery life - as do you.

    I also checked out Lovecraft which I hadn't done before .. interesting ..

    I constantly 'learn' snippet by snippet - I'll have to think about Cora's book .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  12. T. Powell:
    I try for at least interesting ... and if I am lucky: entertaining! Thanks for the nice words. :-)

    Helena:
    Meilori's gives me a great forum to craft fun reviews for everyone. I am so happy you enjoyed this one. :-)

    Hilary:
    Cora says she enjoyed my review. Victor takes the credit for it, of course!

    Her stories have more in common with Poe than Lovecraft, though there is some of his influence in her stories, too.

    We all learn snippet by snippet. :-) Thanks for visiting and staying to comment. It means a lot!

    ReplyDelete