FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Thursday, April 25, 2019

V is for VOCABULARY


“We have too many 
high sounding words
 and too few actions 
that correspond with them.”
Abigail Adams 



 “A man with a scant vocabulary 
will almost certainly 
be a weak thinker. 

The richer and more copious 
one's vocabulary
 and the greater one's 
awareness of 
fine distinctions 
and subtle nuances of meaning, 
the more fertile and precise 
is likely to be one's thinking.

 Knowledge of things and
knowledge of the words 
for them grow together.
If you do not know the words, 
you can hardly know the thing.”

Henry Hazlitt



One of the really bad things 
you can do to your writing 
is to dress up 
the vocabulary, 

looking for long words 
because you're maybe 
a little bit ashamed 
of your short ones. 

This is like dressing up 
a household pet 
in evening clothes. 

The pet is embarrassed 
and the person who committed 
 this act 
of premeditated cuteness 
should be even 
more embarrassed.”
Stephen King,


 The limits of my language 
are the limits of my universe.”
Goethe 

HOW IMPORTANT
DO YOU THINK 
VOCABULARY IS?

3 comments:

  1. I dressed my cat up in bunny ears but that's as far as I'm pushing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Midnight would become Jack the Ripper if I tried to dress him up! :-)

      Delete
  2. I like the Goethe quote. And yet I agree with King about unnecessarily dressing up your language... I'll lose a hand -- or a limb! -- if I try to dress Callum up: he knows that he is gorgeous without even trying :-)

    Ronel visiting with the A-Z Challenge music and writing: Various Artists

    ReplyDelete