FREE KINDLE FOR PC

FREE KINDLE FOR PC
So you can read my books

Monday, October 2, 2023

NO ONE READS BLOGS ANYMORE? IWSG Post

 

Of course you balk at my post title,
since you are reading my blog, right?

But reading is on the decline.  

One in four (27%) of us have not read a book in the last year.




If we as authors write posts primarily to other authors, 

we are in essence singing to the choir.

It is like kissing your sister, convenient but leads nowhere ... 

unless your sister was Angelina Jolie ...

but that is another disturbing story.  Brrr.



John Locke, snake oil salesman 
and book review buyer that he was

actually had a good idea:


We must write to intrigue and entice potential READERS of what we write.


HOOK 
Google Searchers with an intriguing title

 But you must follow the title with a post 

that amuses, entertains, and persuades the reader that your prose is worth gambling 99 cents on.

 On the internet, you can walk away with a click if someone fails to interest you. 

This happens all the time.



TAKE A STAND


Say your piece and stand by it.  

Wafflers are like warm tap water.  

Be hot.  Be cold.  

But write words of steel not water vapor.

You think most Indie Authors are Brand Whores?  

Say it.  Stand by it. 
Endure the storm and stand tall.  

That is what great spirits do.



ACT "AS IF"


In the documentary, "Conan Can't Stop," 

Conan explains how he gets through situations that are hard. 

He says he acts "as if."  

As if he belongs there. 

As if he knows what he's doing.  

As if everything is going to be a success -- 

no matter what he does, no matter what anyone says, no matter how hard it gets.


Write your blog, live the author life that way ...

Write As If people are reading 

and by golly you are going to entertain the socks off them.

Hey, it might even work! 

20 comments:

  1. I might not know what I'm doing, but I can certainly act like I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. :-) If it is good enough for Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes fame, then it is good enough for me ,,, and you!

      Delete
  2. I have no idea what I am doing half of the time but I'll need to take the "as if" approach and see where that gets me. Got nothing to lose! Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far. The heart lets me know that I am all too mortal. Cross your fingers that I can last long enough to finish my latest epic. 93k so far. Best of luck with your writing, my friend. -)

      Delete
  3. God spits out lukewarm. Just go for it and be hot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion. And it's sadly true that less people read blogs these days because it takes more time than other social media platforms. But it's an important way to support authors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But the other social media is so shallow. Blog posts have substance and give a sense of the personality writing it. To be able to touch fellow writers, fellow humans, is important in these isolated days.

      Delete
  5. Comes down to confidence I suppose. I find it very hard to fall into impostor syndrome but then that's underselling what my stories might have to say to someone. "As if" sounds like manifesting to me - maybe should try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's how many soldiers survive on the battlefield, Nick. And writing has always been a bit like war! :-)

      Delete
  6. Yeah, less and less are reading. Well maybe less are commenting, I still get page views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my massive heart attack last Halloween -- all trick and no treat! It has been harder for me to visit and comment while I work to pay off the bills and try to write my Magnum Opus! Thanks for visiting! I;m just to work but I promise to visit and comment on your blog!

      Delete
  7. I couldn't agree more. Potentially fewer readers now. Yes, bloggers read bloggers. Full stop. But somehow I'm not giving up this space. It's like home,one I own with panache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is my diary and way of chatting with those of like spirit, Sonia. :-)

      Delete
  8. And yet, when I try to expand to other SM for my marketing, it is always a flop. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tried to visit you via your link but it wouldn't work! :-(

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this post, Roland! I have wasted so much time trying to figure out what to write because I don't want to offend/upset anybody. So I end up writing nothing - or worse, writing something that isn't worth reading. Everyone is so very sensitive nowadays. If we're going to upset at least one person no matter what we say, we may as well commit to it. Great advice, as always!

    ReplyDelete